OT: [WarOf1812] Sharpe end of the stick

  • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 10:11 AM
      Note OT for "Off topic" warning:

      Okay, having rescued Sir Arthur W. in the last book (I guess, haven't read
      it) he is entrusted with secret dispatches to be carried back to England.
      En route in a small brig he and his femme du jour are captured by the
      Spanish and... uh, no, that was Hornblower.

      Okay, learning that the niece of somebody important has been captured by
      the French, Sharpe infiltrates the fleet as a representative of the
      goverment and... hmmmm, that was Pimpernel's story.

      Okay, returning to England to be part of the Rifle Corps the transport is
      taken by the allied fleet and Sharpe is stored aboard the French flagship.
      While becoming grudging friends with a sympathetic character (French of
      course) he learns something about the nature of sailing and the fleet's
      mission. As battle is about to be joined he escapes and makes his way to
      the fighting tops. Just as the Buccetaur (spelling wrong, sorry) is about
      to cut across the Victory's stern and rake her, Sharpe detonates a cache of
      grenades that effectively takes the wind out of her sails. As the two
      ships drift together Sharpe becomes embroiled in a hand to hand struggle
      with the nice officer described above and as usual kills him. He then
      begins to pick off marines, getting a misfire at the critical moment Nelson
      is shot. Thereby failing to save England's second great hero of the
      Napoleonic Wars. (He's only human after all.) Dropping to the main deck
      he takes a swivel gun and disrupts a determined looking boarding party
      about to sweep across the Victory's decks, doing such a bang up job that no
      one realizes the peril they were in, and therefore make no mention of it in
      the offical history. {pant, pant, catching my breath)

      God, I've read too many of these literary masterpieces.

      Michael

      Voice: (507) 285-7585 Fax: (507) 280-5568
      ------------------------------
      "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the
      opportunity in every difficulty." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
    • ninety3rd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5 6:30 AM
        In a message dated 04/4/2000 10:13:43 AM, mmathews@...
        writes:

[...]

        Ya know.....with just a wee bit of a change, this could be yet another
        historical fiction character (but too early a time period for him). Something
        like this:

        Returning to England as a stowaway to be escape being part of the Rifle Corps
        the transport is taken by the allied fleet and he is stored aboard the French
        flagship.
        While becoming grudging friends with a sympathetic character (French of
        course) he learns something about the nature of sailing and the fleet's
        mission. As battle is about to be joined he luckily escapes through a hole
        blown through the deck and makes his way clear of any fighting he can. Just
        as the Buccetaur (spelling wrong, sorry) is about to cut across the Victory's
        stern and rake her, he accidentally detonates a cache of grenades (dropped a
        lantern when he bumbles into his French friend who luckily shoved him out of
        the way of a large flying splinter, the friend dies in the resulting
        explosion of course, that effectively takes the wind out of her sails. As
        the two ships drift together he becomes embroiled in a hand to hand struggle
        (literally -- he is thrown on top of the fellow when a loose yardarm hits him
        from behind) with a villainous officer and as usual kills him by falling off
        the poop deck with the officer underneath him thereby luckily breaking the
        fellow's neck. He then
        begins to be shot at by Royal Marines (who think he's French). He manages to
        grab the musket of one of the French marines (who are also shooting at him)
        and as they wrestle over it, the musket goes off in the general direction of
        and at the critical moment Nelson is shot. Thereby failing to save England's
        second great hero of the Napoleonic Wars. (He's only human after all.)
        Dropping to the main deck he screams at a swivel gun crew who turn and
        disrupt a determined looking boarding party about to sweep across the
        Victory's decks, doing such a bang up job that no one realizes the peril they
        were in, and therefore make no mention of it in the official history.
        However, Hardy mentions it to the Prince Regent who presents Harry Flashman
        with a special medal.

        ;-)
      • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5 6:45 AM
          (snip
          >Ya know.....with just a wee bit of a change, this could be yet another
          >historical fiction character (but too early a time period for him). Something
          >like this:
          >
          >Returning to England as a stowaway to be escape being part of the Rifle Corps
          >the transport is taken by the allied fleet and he is stored aboard the French
          >flagship.
          >While becoming grudging friends with a sympathetic character (French of
          >course) he learns something about the nature of sailing and the fleet's
          >mission. As battle is about to be joined he luckily escapes through a hole
          >blown through the deck and makes his way clear of any fighting he can. Just
          >as the Buccetaur (spelling wrong, sorry) is about to cut across the Victory's
          >stern and rake her, he accidentally detonates a cache of grenades (dropped a
          >lantern when he bumbles into his French friend who luckily shoved him out of
          >the way of a large flying splinter, the friend dies in the resulting
          >explosion of course, that effectively takes the wind out of her sails. As
          >the two ships drift together he becomes embroiled in a hand to hand struggle
          >(literally -- he is thrown on top of the fellow when a loose yardarm hits him
          >from behind) with a villainous officer and as usual kills him by falling off
          >the poop deck with the officer underneath him thereby luckily breaking the
          >fellow's neck. He then
          >begins to be shot at by Royal Marines (who think he's French). He manages to
          >grab the musket of one of the French marines (who are also shooting at him)
          >and as they wrestle over it, the musket goes off in the general direction of
          >and at the critical moment Nelson is shot. Thereby failing to save England's
          >second great hero of the Napoleonic Wars. (He's only human after all.)
          >Dropping to the main deck he screams at a swivel gun crew who turn and
          >disrupt a determined looking boarding party about to sweep across the
          >Victory's decks, doing such a bang up job that no one realizes the peril they
          >were in, and therefore make no mention of it in the official history.
          >However, Hardy mentions it to the Prince Regent who presents Harry Flashman
          >with a special medal.

          Or to keep it in an eternal time line, make it Black Adder and Baldric as
          Harper!