War in the Chesapeake!

  • Tom Hurlbut
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2014

      2014 marks the 200th Anniversary of Britain’s Chesapeake campaign, the attempt by Britain through the reach and mobility of the Royal Navy to bring the War of 1812 to the heartland of the United States . While a number of commemorative events have already taken place on the Chesapeake (and more to come!), the heroic attempts by Captain Joshua Barney USN to utilize the gunboats constructed by the Jefferson and subsequent administrations to defend the American coasts from naval incursions were re-enacted on the weekend of June 21-22 at Jefferson-Patterson Park and Museum in Maryland and I was privileged to be involved. Numerous participants travelled from great distances to be a part of the re-enactment of this element of the campaign and none were disappointed, all treated to a terrific park with wonderful hosts, four meals, several tacticals and a parade of historic tall ships. The organizing committee is to be congratulated on a wildly successful event and I, for one, look forward to returning to JPPM as soon as possible.

      Saturday offered many different activities including land tacticals and an evening tavern with exceptional selections of period music and country dancing, as well as the mandatory selection of locally produced beverages. Several high-ranking British Naval officers were to be observed taking in the local fare, with local women on their arms (sympathizers, perhaps?).

      Sunday offered much of the same, with the battle “finale” in the afternoon.

      In the initial stages of the battle, the boats functioned as Barney’s gunboat flotilla and I had the honour of flying the pennant in ‘Alliance as the lead vessel in the doomed effort to halt the tallship squadron, then we shifted our colours to then portray the landing craft of the British force, landing troops on the beach below the main batteries. Ed Seufert and the Royal Marines together with a party of sailors stormed the guns while the boats hauled off the shore and covered the assault with our swivels. All-in-all, an exercise well executed, and the CFNANE commodore (fleet) offers his official congratulations.

      Vessels involved included:

      Maryland Dove – Capt. Will Gates

      Pride of Baltimore II – Capt. Jan Miles

      Sultana – Capt. Tanya Banks-Christensen

      Kalmar Nyckel – Capt. Sharon Dounce

      Dee of St Mary's – Capt. Ed Bahniuk

      Jollyboat – Vigilant Crew

      Jollyboat – Ship’s Company

      Whitehall cutter – Tom Tyzack

      Whale-gig Auld Alliance – crewed by HMS Acasta

      Now on toBaltimore ! I have every confidence that the Royal Navy will be every bit as successful there as here at JPPM.

      Yours, Aye!

      Thomas Hurlbut,

      Commodore (fleet)

      CFNANE

    • Aaron Marcavitch
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2014
         Commodore Hurlbut,

        With all due respect, we do expect a land skirmish on August 23 at Bladensburg.  With more than 150 different persons registered for this event (not to mention President Madison, Francis Scott key, and variety of local citizens demonstrating their goods and wares) we fully expect this program to be great day for all who are attending.  With a variety of food (trucks), children's activities, boat tours, trolley tours, and of course music and fireworks, we anticipate a great day for all involved.

        If you haven't seen the website at  http://www.princegeorges1812.org/ we encourage your troops to check this website.  There is a micro site with more details at  with Undaunted Weekend - Splash with plenty of details about the specific event.

        Thanks - and good luck in Baltimore!
        Aaron Marcavitch
        Battle of Bladensburg Task Force

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2014

          And, with respect, in my capacity at CFNANE Commodore (fleet), I was referring to the expected naval element of the Star Spangled Banner Vs the land elements of Caulk’s Field, Bladensburg and North Point when I jumped ahead to Baltimore . I do not mean to diminish the other aspects of the Chesapeake Campaign to be re-enacted this year. I do note however that in response to my earlier post, I have received emails off-list that expressed the belief that events on the Chesapeake have concluded.

          I expect to return to the area before the year ends and may see you on those occasions.

          Regards,

          Tom

          With all due respect, we do expect a land skirmish on August 23 at Bladensburg.  With more than 150 different persons registered for this event (not to mention President Madison, Francis Scott key, and variety of local citizens demonstrating their goods and wares) we fully expect this program to be great day for all who are attending.  With a variety of food (trucks), children's activities, boat tours, trolley tours, and of course music and fireworks, we anticipate a great day for all involved.

          If you haven't seen the website at  http://www.princegeorges1812.org/ we encourage your troops to check this website.  There is a micro site with more details at  with Undaunted Weekend - Splash with plenty of details about the specific event.

          Undaunted Weekend - Splash

          Find out more about this event - Saturday, August 23, 2014

          Preview by Yahoo

          Thanks - and good luck in Baltimore !

          Aaron Marcavitch

          Battle of Bladensburg Task Force

        • Ed Seufert
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2014
             "I have received emails off-list that expressed the belief that events on the Chesapeake have concluded."

            I find that very interesting as I've communicated several times the events coming up in August/September.

            Cheers,

            Ed Seufert, Sgt
            1812 Royal Marines
            www.facebook.com\1812RoyalMarines

            Find out more about this event - Saturday, August 23, 2014

            Preview by Yahoo

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2014

              Aug 22-24 . . . Battle of Bladensburg - Bladensburg, MD

              at the Battle of Bladensburg Visitors Center in Bladensburg and the Port Towns of Bladensburg, Colmar Manor, and Cottage City.

              (Anniversary event - Aug 24, 1814)

              Aug30-31 . . . Battle of Caulk's Field, Chestertown, MD

              (Anniversary event - Aug 30, 1813)

              Sept 6-7 . . . Battle of North Point - Baltimore, MD

              (Anniversary event - Sept 12, 1814)

              Sept 12-14 . . . Battle of Fort McHenry - Baltimore, MD

              (Anniversary event - Sept 14, 1814)

              All on the schedule!

              Find out more about this event - Saturday, August 23, 2014

              Preview by Yahoo