Children and Gunpowder

  • a10rca
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16 8:19 AM

      http://www.jems.com/article/news/cannon-explodes-during-utah-parade

       Hi Folks

      I started reenacting over 30 years ago.  I have certainly learned the hard way that black powder is volatile.   I wouldn't blame the gunpowder, just my own stupidity.

      This event in Utah wanted to have children involved.  It is certainly the best way to learn history.   There are, however, many ways to have young people involved without them handling black powder.

      There is also a lesson here in keeping guns, cartridge boxes and ammunition secure.    At events in Niagara we ask gunners to fire together and load together.   A few loose grains in a cartridge box or ammo box can be set off by a spark from the muzzle, primer, slow match or portfire leading to a larger explosion.

      See you this summer.

      Jim

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16 9:03 AM
        Thank God that nobody was holding the second cartridge when it exploded.   Keeping all charges in a secure pass box a safe distance behind the gun is always a good idea.  Sometimes folks get a little careless when trying to impress us all on how rapidly they can discharge their pieces and it can lead to grief.

        Thanks for sharing, Jim.

        Ron Dale

      • Flo Odding
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16 9:30 AM
          Hi Jim,

          I know that John Sek is planning a live demo when they get to the Friendship Festival on Saturday June 28, and I am just checking that he has made arrangements with the Fort for safety officer?

            FLO

          --
          Flo Odding
          Manager
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 16 10:41 AM
            Folks,
                       If the initial reports are accurate the cause of the explosion was failure to follow generally accepted safety rules. A safety zone around the gun, cartridges in proper premeasured containers kept in a safety compliant storage locker, trained gun crew in period non flammable clothing, trained gun commander making sure crew is doing their jobs by the numbers. The video I saw does not give all the details, like type of gun etc. Also powder should never be carried by children under 16 at least that is the cut off age for most guidelines.
             I saw insufficient safety zone, people crossing in front of the muzzle, it seemed like there was a failure to secure the safety area prior to firing. Too much confusion. No matter what when safety is in question DO NOT FIRE THE GUN>

            Go mbeannai Dia duit
            Michael

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17 8:48 AM
              I heard about this. Yes agree safty rules must have been pretty lax. I remember doing 17th century in Great Britain. We heard all the horror tails of boneheads running infront of the cannon as it fired and blowing off there legs.

              On Mon, 6/16/14, KILTONE@... [WarOf1812] wrote:

              Subject: Re: 1812 Children and Gunpowder

            • Robert White
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 17 10:25 AM
                If you view the video, the safety rules were not lax they were non-existent.  They fired that cannon with people directly in front of it and around it with no safety perimeter at all.  Watch carefully and the secondary explosion happens in front of the gun and to its right.  There is nothing in the reports that the children were actually handling the powder or had anything to do with handling the powder.  It appears that they were just too close.   From the timing of the secondary explosion the extra charges, if they were charges and not just powder, were apparently in the open.  Strange how sparks would burn through a properly prepared charge that quickly.  All in all, while the gun crew's conduct was deplorable, they were extremely lucky.  Certainly a lesson for us all to keep up our diligence and adherence to safety.

                Sgt. Bob White, Gun Captain. 1812 Marine Guard, U.S.S. Constitution