Short Coat Militia

  • doucanu2
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5 1:15 PM

       Just wondering if anyone could give me a description or link showing a short coat? In a letter written by Eneas Shaw  dated York April 29th  1812, he mentions in regard to uniform for the Militia,

      " As it is not ascertained wether Government will provide clothing for the Militia, His Honour the President ( General Brock) recommends in the event of any portion of them being in the meantime called out into the field, that for their own convenience, as well as the benefit the service, each man , as far as his circumstances and situation allow, will provide himself with a Short Coat of some dark coloured cloth, made to button well round the body, and pantaloons suited to the season, with the addition of a round hat. It is also recommended to the officers, on every occasion when in the field, to dress in conformity to the men, in order to avoid the bad consequences of a conspicuous dress."

      Thanks for any help,

      Gerry

    • saultcitysoo
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6 4:43 AM
        Gerry,

        I'm surmising that a "short coat" is what we call a jacket. Coats of the period usually had skirts, or at least tails.

        I'm surprised at the term "pantaloons" being used. My research indicates that these were tight fitting, long pants, held in place by straps under the instep. Trousers, also known as overalls, were the norm among the working class.

        cheers,
        Sue Too
      • Barbossa
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 6 5:07 AM
          Gerry,

          We have used these patterns and made any adjustments as necessary.

          Workman's Jacket/Stable Jacket

          or

          Kannik's Korner Double Breasted Short Jacket

          http://www.wmboothdraper.com/Patterns/mens_patterns.htm#Coats

          If you choose the one from Kannik's, add a four inch stand up collar to the coat.

          Sincerely,

          Gigi McAndrews
          Secretary,
          2nd Reg't Lincoln Militia

          Proprietor
          McAndrews Artificer & Smithery
        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 6 6:52 AM
            I believe you're correct regarding the jackets. As to pantaloons, if you look at images of men out hunting from this period you'll find some wearing pantaloons and others with gaitors and gaitored trousers, in addition to those wearing "overalls"

            Craig

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 6, 2014, at 7:43, "saultcitysoo@... [WarOf1812]" <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Gerry,

            I'm surmising that a "short coat" is what we call a jacket. Coats of the period usually had skirts, or at least tails.

            I'm surprised at the term "pantaloons" being used. My research indicates that these were tight fitting, long pants, held in place by straps under the instep. Trousers, also known as overalls, were the norm among the working class.

            cheers,
            Sue Too

          • Gregory Robin
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 6 8:57 PM
              Hi GiGi
              Hope to see you at Northpoint again this year.  Shooting toward us poor Americans.
              Jeanne used the Kannik's Korner pattern for us and it seems to be a good pattern.

              Just my two cents

              Your ob serv
              Gregory Robin
              Fredrick County 16th  Maryland Militia
            • saultcitysoo
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 7 7:04 AM
                Craig,

                I can see officers wearing pantaloons, but the rank and file?

                cheers,
                Sue Too
              • Craig Williams

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 8 9:07 AM
                    Also the regs call for the Provincial Artillery Drivers to wear grey, blue or olive pantaloons but all of one colour.

                    Ron Dale

                  • Phil Graf
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 8 1:31 PM
                      I think it's actually a coat with short tails or skirts, hence the stipulation that it not be a cutaway.
                    • saultcitysoo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 9 5:35 AM
                        Is this a case of the meaning of the word changing?
                        And were these pants held at the instep with a strap?

                        Sue Too
                      • Craig Williams
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 9 6:38 AM
                          The strap at the instep is not always the case. Sometimes pantaloons are mid calf making the strap impractical and sometimes they are "sherryvales"
                          making the strap extraneous .

                          Craig
                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 10 5:23 AM
                            Thank you Craig!
                            Clearly some more research is required on my part.

                            Sue Too