200th Waterloo Reenactment

  • drjt125
    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2014

      My son and I are veteran Civil War re-enactors that have a strong desire to participate in the Waterloo event in Belgium next year.  We are reaching out to see if any British units in the upstate NY or NE area would be attending and might be interested in helping us gather necessary gear.   Any information or contacts would be most welcomed.

      Best regards,

      J. Tryon

      Cobleskill, NY

    • renleg
      Message 2 of 12 , May 24, 2014
        The 19th Light Dragoons are in Quebec just south of Montreal on the Vermont new York border. And they are going.

        www.xixld.com

        Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 24, 2014
          The 27th Inniskilling is based in Vermont if infantry is more to your liking. I assume that you want to do British .

          Point of contact is Izzy Provoncha : inniskilling1812@...

          Stephane Poirier
          Canadian Voltigeurs

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 22, 2014, at 7:26 PM, "drjt125@... [WarOf1812]" <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          My son and I are veteran Civil War re-enactors that have a strong desire to participate in the Waterloo event in Belgium next year.  We are reaching out to see if any British units in the upstate NY or NE area would be attending and might be interested in helping us gather necessary gear.   Any information or contacts would be most welcomed.

          Best regards,
          J. Tryon
          Cobleskill, NY
        • annwass2000
          Message 4 of 12 , May 25, 2014
            I don't have the information handy, but can someone please also share with him the travel agency information that is planning the trip? I think that will be the way to actually travel--let someone else make all the lodging and transportation arrangements.

            Ann Wass

            Message 5 of 12 , May 25, 2014
               Below is all info available for the Waterloo 2015 event.  Just remember there must be at least 6 people going that would be muskets with someone to command if not each person that is going must make arrangements with another group to fall in with them.

              The other option is make your own arrangements with a group over there and your own travel arrangements.

              Each person going must either register on the etravel site below or make there own travel arrangements.

              To all Canadians and Americans with an interest in Waterloo 2015:

              On behalf of the organizing committee I would like to offer some updates.

              While plans are building nicely, we must caution everyone that details shared here are tentative and subject to change.

              First and foremost; if you are part of a group/unit that is planning on going and you will want to parade with the North American contingent, it is vitally important that your group advise us of your intentions. This can be done by emailing Peter Monahan: petemonahan@... with a copy to Tom Fournier: tom4141fournier@...

              To date, the following units have registered their plans:

              1st Royal Scots – Grenadiers

              1st Royal Scots – Lights

              41st Regiment of Foot

              49th Regiment – Centre Company

              49th Regiment – Grenadiers

              Royal Newfoundland Regiment

              Canadian Fencibles*

              Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada

              York Militia

              19th Light Dragoons

              Drums of the Crown Forces

              Crown Forces Staff

              * Canadian Fencibles may parade with another Division

              All individuals, whether belonging to one of the above groups or wishing to join with one of the above, should register their interest in the trip on Ellison Travel and Tours, our travel partners’ website:

              https://ettravel.com/waterloo200

              Options for shipping weapons and equipment are still being investigated but it appears that the logistics around a shipping container may be too complex and items will have to travel as extra baggage.

              Ellison Travel and Tours have tremendous capability organizing and staging tours. Working on our behalf, they have blocked off airplane seats, hotel rooms and motor coaches to support this venture.

              As registrations are received we will continue to evaluate options for departure cities. At this time, we appear to have sufficient numbers to consider Toronto, Detroit and Montreal (however that is not a firm commitment or offer).

              The best and most economical air options appear to be with charter airlines – this also means limited arrival cities and flight dates.

              So that folks can visualize what the trip may look like, a sample itinerary would appear to be:

              Monday, June 15th – depart Toronto

              Tuesday, June 16th – arrive in Amsterdam, stay one night

              Wednesday, June 17th – transfer to Brussels

              Thursday, June 18th to Sunday, June 21stparticipate in Waterloo 2015 Activities

              Monday, June 22nd transfer to Amsterdam

              Tuesday, June 23rd – return to Toronto

              Estimated cost: $2,100 to $2,500 each based on double occupancy, departure city and airfare costs.

              Costs will be firmed up by late spring and we will begin taking formal commitments.

              Participants should expect to make a deposit in late spring 2014 to hold their spot.

              Later registrants can be accommodated but it may be at a higher price based on airfares rising closer to the departure date.

              What we need right now!

              If your group plans on parading with the North American battalion, make sure that we know!

              If you are planning on going as an individual (with or without your unit), please register at:

              https://ettravel.com/waterloo200

              Yours truly,

              Tom Fournier

              This is the info we have so far. If you are interested in being mounted as cavalry I would need to know asap to secure mounts. But we have dismounts going as well.

              Hope this helps

              Dan Williams
              Captain
              XIX Light Dragoons

              Message 6 of 12 , May 25, 2014
                Also did you sign up to the big battalions website? It shows the list of where everyone is situated in the brigades.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 25, 2014

                  All,

                      It is well to remember is that numbers at the Waterloo 200th will be limited, and you will need to be a member of an established unit to go. If anyone is hoping to go ONLY to this one Napoleonic event, they may well be out of luck as there are large numbers of units that have been soldiering on at Napoleonic/1812 events for years (decades, even) who will naturally get first priority. Your best chance at going would be to join a unit, and support them this year, next year, and in the future with your presence.

                  Aye,
                  Iain
                  42nd Royal Highland Reg't (Napoleonic)
                  1st Royal Scots (War of 1812)

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 25, 2014
                    Just curious, as I have never traveled to Europe before, but what were
                    the complications that arose in getting direct flights from Toronto (for
                    example) to Brussels International Airport? Waterloo is close to
                    Brussels. While Amsterdam would be great to see, it's adding at least an
                    extra day. (I tried to check Expedia.ca for flights for example, and
                    they don't show anything past April 2015)

                    Are there options for a Wednesday morning departure, with an arrival in
                    Brussels that day, then a simple transfer to the event site from there?
                    I'm trying to plan vacation time and am trying to limit the number of
                    days I have to spend.

                    Thanks!

                    Matt
                  • drjt125
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 26, 2014

                      Thank you to all who have replied to my post.  All the information is very helpful.

                    • tom4141fournier
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 27, 2014

                        A good question ...

                        There is only one airline offering a flight from Toronto to Brussels (it appears Toronto will be the primary point of departure).

                        They will not make available seats until 11 months out from the event and the expectation is that demand will be high for them and the fares will be correspondingly steep.

                        The tour company recommended Air Transat to Amsterdam as they could lock in airfares 15 months out and this also gives us the ability to plan the other logistics such as hotel rooms and coaches.  We are trying to coordinate arrangements for approx. 200 people.

                        We will post a detailed update in the next week or so including a schedule of events but count on this being multiple days with time to be allowed for registration, drill with the division that we will brigade with, cermonies, etc. before the event even happens.

                        If folks are looking to combine sight seeing and other tours then that will be best done after the event.

                        More information to come but I hope this helps in the interim!

                        Tom Fournier

                      • bentonjennings
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 27, 2014
                          Thought I would send this out as a reminder to some, or a heads up to others.
                          If any Unit has not yet done so, they need to go to the Big Battalions website, and have themselves listed and placed in the proper "Division".
                          Anyone not traveling/participating with that group ought register with Big Battalions, or check and make sure you or your North American unit are included with the Brit/Euro counterpart you are participating with.

                          All Highlanders, for example, will be in "C" Division.
                          Speaking of which...
                          Talking with my C Division counterparts recently via Skype, it looks like "The Highland Brigade" will be one of the three largest units on the field, so large it will also be in two wings, with all 42nd from all over the world in one wing, and all others (71st, 79th, 92nd, 93rd, etc) in the other. That's a lot of tartan running about!

                          Big Battalions: http://www.forkinggeorge.com/

                          Cheers,

                          93rd SHRoFLHU
                          THE Thin Red Line
                          www.93rdhighlanders.com
                          www.new.facebook.com/people/Sutherland_Highlanders/1120912511

                        • tom4141fournier
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 27, 2014

                            If I could offer a clarification, the North American battalion has been working with Wagg Ellis-Jones, Hugh Martyr, etc. in the context of the Big Battalions Project.  It needs some updating so no panic is necessary.

                            If you are registered with the CFNA and our travel plans then you are covered with the Big Battalions Project!

                            Cheers

                            Tom