Re: [WarOf1812] Digest Number 509: Sgt's Tool

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 8:15 AM
      In a message dated 4/2/2000 7:46:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
      SGTPUDGLI@... writes:

      << Right you are Craig...1735 is the date I've read before.
      Apparently just at the beginning of the recognized decade for the official
      formation of the British Professional Army. >>

      Considering that the Coldstreams have a direct decent from Monks Regiment of
      the New Model Army and the Grenadier Guards (1st Foot Guards) was formed in
      exile by Charles II I would actually put the formation of the "British
      Professional Army" somewhat earlier. Most authorities say 1661 with the
      Restoration, personally I would date it to the reign of James II under who's
      reign most of the older line regiments were formed. Many of the rest were
      formed to counter the '15' rising in Scotland.