2014 Longwoods Ambush

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2014

      Every year at Longwoods on Saturday morning, we always put on an ambush for the re-enactors.  This is before the public arrives.  In the past we have done ‘capture the flag’, ‘capture a spy’, ‘capture supplies’, secret turncoats, time limits, and just an all out free for all many times.

      This year I have been racking my brain to figure something new.  And I have it….

      ZOMBIES!!!

      Now before anybody jumps down my throat and says “What a stupid idea”, “We’ve never done that before”, let me explain.  People said the same things years ago when I proposed doing paintball.  People we very upset and angry and thought I was nuts and refused to trust me and even threatened to boycott the event if I went through with it.  But it ended up being very successful with lots of people watching and even asking to do it again.

      I am putting this out to everybody for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

      Here is what I was thinking:

      ZOMBIESSS!!  The Zombie apocalypse has occurred shortly after the United States declared War on Great Britain.  The human race is being overrun.  Ammunition is in short supply in North America.  You must search for survival items and survive to the end.

      Teams –Americans/ British and ZoMbIeS!
      The human teams are small, and zombies are more numerous.

      OBJECTIVES:

      Humans:

      ·          retrieve 3 flags (hidden by ref) and survive 30 minutes

      ·         don’t get killed!

      Zombies

      ·         Don’t let humans finish their objectives

      ·         BRAIINSS………

      PLAYERS:
      Humans

      ·         limited ammo (10 rounds)~~*maybe a hidden ammo supply /

      ·         can run

      ·         must try to find 3 flags and survive 30 minutes

      Zombie

      ·         They tag to kill

      ·         Identified by no musket/ unbuttoned coat/ no hat

      ·         CANNOT run, but can quick walk

      ·         CANNOT communicate with each other, but can moan and grunt

      ·         Takes 3 ‘hits’ to kill

      ·         Touch a human and the human instantly turn zombie

      RULES!
      - A human cannot hold all 3 flags (unless he is last person alive)
      -if you are human and get tagged by a zombie you are now a zombie (any physical contact)

      -once a human is tagged they cannot give ammo

      -zombies aren’t allowed to use guns, so carry it with you, and unbutton your coat and take off hat if possible

      - die on ground and re animate after 2 or 3 minutes (slow count to 120)

      -volley fire (more than 5 guys in line) counts as only 2 hits on a single zombie.  If you are shooting at a group of zombies with volley fire, then only 1 hit per zombie.

      This game will depend A LOT on the zombies being HONEST

      Zombies-Keep track on how many hits you have.

      Humans- call out your target and identify the zombie.  Don’t get mad if you shoot a zombie that you think he should die and he doesn’t.  He may not know that you shot him, especially from a distance.  Remember, a musket is not accurate.

    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2014

        Love it!

        Peter Monahan

        petemonahan@...
        705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30, 2014
          Nice change from usual linear powder-burners. Hope the response is positive.

          Stephane Poirier
          Sgt, Canadian Voltigeurs

          Sent from my iPhone

          From: mdickerson1@...
          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:26:15 -0400

          Every year at Longwoods on Saturday morning, we always put on an ambush for the re-enactors.  This is before the public arrives.  In the past we have done ‘capture the flag’, ‘capture a spy’, ‘capture supplies’, secret turncoats, time limits, and just an all out free for all many times.

          This year I have been racking my brain to figure something new.  And I have it….

          ZOMBIES!!!

        • jsekcanada
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30, 2014
            Call CBC. They seem to have a coverage shortly. If A. Lincoln was a vampire hunter perhaps Madison was a Zombie. ‎Makeup should be interesting.

            Sorry I can't attend this year.

            John Sek

            Sent from my BlackBerry.
            Every year at Longwoods on Saturday morning, we always put on an ambush for the re-enactors.  This is before the public arrives.  In the past we have done ‘capture the flag’, ‘capture a spy’, ‘capture supplies’, secret turncoats, time limits, and just an all out free for all many times.

            This year I have been racking my brain to figure something new.  And I have it….

            ZOMBIES!!!

          • John Ogden

              From: mdickerson1@...
              To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:26:15 -0400

              --
              John J. Ogden

            • Kathryn41
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2014

                You realize, Mark, that there is also already a precedent for zombies in this time period – ie, the publication “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” :-D

                Kathryn

                Message 7 of 10 , May 1 5:18 AM
                  John, I assume you are aware that the first book from the author of ALVH was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? They were talking about filming that but I don't think the first film did well enough.

                  Cheers,

                  Every year at Longwoods on Saturday morning, we always put on an ambush for the re-enactors.  This is before the public arrives.  In the past we have done ‘capture the flag’, ‘capture a spy’, ‘capture supplies’, secret turncoats, time limits, and just an all out free for all many times.

                  This year I have been racking my brain to figure something new.  And I have it….

                  ZOMBIES!!!

                • Travis Bennett
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 1 6:50 AM

                    I think it sounds like a blast!!  I thought that salt pork was tainted!

                    Travis
                    23rd US Infantry

                  • Jason Everett
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 1 3:00 PM
                      Rather a different variation.

                      I’m not sure if the open coats and no headgear is particularly conducive to a Longwoods event. Maybe no belts or shakos.

                      I’m not sure I could remember the particular details of the firing, hits, etc. rules. Referees with the two human groups could call out how many zeds go down, or even point them out. (Hey, it’s only about two minutes you’re out of the game.)

                      I can see the British and American teams being enemies at the start of the game. Maybe they stay so until one or both teams reach say 50%. They could continue fighting if they wanted. Or if they get caught in a particular situation they could (temporarily?) call a truce.

                      As in “Walking Dead” any of the humans killed whilst fighting over the flag, go down for the 120 count, and revive as zombies. (Sling or club arms, attack any human nearby, or otherwise join nearest herd.)

                      Could be a real laugh.

                      Jason Everett
                      (Lowly) Corporal, IMUC
                    • royalscotstailor
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 1 6:44 PM
                        Best idea I've heard in a while.  Can I bring my pike? that should keep the Dead at bay.

                        Kevin