A fine of 5 pounds

  • Pauline Grondin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2014
      Does anyone know why the 1812 soldiers in the present day Burlington area would have been fined 5 pounds each from December 14 1812 to March 15 1813?

      Thanks,

      Pauline

      Pauline Grondin
      Voices of the Past
      E: Spingolli@...
      P: 905-522-4157

      Visit My Webpage
      Visit My Facebook

      Life is a dance, you learn as you go. Enjoy!!

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2014
        Hello Pauline,

        That was the fine for not turning out for muster or for going AWOL.  Is there a particular name and regiment that you are searching?  I am going through Militia pay lists right now and can have a look.

        Ron Dale
      • petemonahan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2014
          The date period was the first quarter of the Army's year, oddly enough, so it sounds like a stoppages from pay - probably for lost kit - or possibly a fine for some military offence.  Impossible to say any more exactly, I think, without going into unit records.
        • Roger Roop
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2014
            I have seen fines levied against militiamen in Maryland for failure to appear at musters and these fines are almost always $5.  To put this into perspective, a “fine riding horse” was advertised in the Frederick-town Herald dated December 26th, 1812 had its sale price listed as $20.  So a fine for desertion from a muster was roughly ¼ of the price of a good riding horse.  Imagine if a similar fine was issued today…1/4 the cost of lets say a 30K vehicle = OUCH!

            Your Obedient Servant
            Roger Thor Roop
            Acting Sergeant and Chief Historical Officer

            Frederick County Militia ♦ War of 1812
            9th Brigade, 16th Regiment, 1st. Battalion, Maryland Militia
            Captain George Washington McGee’s Company

            On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:16 PM, "petemonahan@..." <petemonahan@...> wrote:
            The date period was the first quarter of the Army's year, oddly enough, so it sounds like a stoppages from pay - probably for lost kit - or possibly a fine for some military offence.  Impossible to say any more exactly, I think, without going into unit records.

          • Gregory Carraro
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6 6:32 PM
              Hi Pauline. I  don't have a clear answer but the Militia Act had several regulations within it regarding fines.  The one that seems most likely would be for
              insubordination: NCOs and Privates who refused to obey lawful orders or abused their officers could be fined ranging from 10 shillings (minor offence such as quarrelling or abusive language) to 5 pounds (insubordination and refusal to obey orders) at the discretion of the local magistrate. That's my guess.

              Regards,
              Greg Carraro