Burning of Dover Mills

  • angelawallace2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2014

      Good Morning,

      Registration for the one day event, The Burning of Dover Mills, is taking place now.  .  200 years ago Americans landed on the beach - they proceeded to burn the hamlet of Dover and then Port Ryerse.  On Saturday, May 17th, we will host a skirmish on the beach, a bonfire, pigroast and live music, featuring Canadian musicians Ian Bell and Geoff Somers.  We hope that you will consider being part of this event.

      Please contact me directly at angela.wallace@... or call 519-583-2660 for a registration package
      We do require pre-registration for this event.

      Thank you,

      Angela

    • Aaron Marcavitch
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2014
        Good Morning!

        Plans continue to be finalized for the Battle of Bladensburg Anniversary Commemoration on August 23, 2014. Camping will be available on site.  The tactical/re-enactment will occur at the Anacostia River, at the point closest to where the British and American first line squared off on that hot August afternoon.  While we do not have the ability to utilize the second and third lines (permits, over development, visitor experiences), we do hope that this location on the first line will be a great opportunity to experience the battle.

        We are at 75 participants, not including Ships Company which is still finalizing their count.  Fort McHenry Guard will also be on site during the day.  We have the Regency Society of Virginia; living history performers for President Madison, Mrs. Madison, Francis Scott Key; sutlers like Spencers Mercintile, Dobyns and Martin Grocers, Joyce McDonald; demonstrators like Black Forest Forge and Lauren Muney. Not to mention Piscaway Tribe, Arundel Swordsmen, Children's Village (with 1812 puppet show), food trucks, music (including the Navy Commodores), and the big grand finale fireworks.

        If you haven't signed up your crew yet, please consider coming out.  We pay stipends - $25/re-enactor, travel bonus over 100 miles, powder allowances, and mounted stipends.

        Visit: http://www.princegeorges1812.org/?page_id=650 (click on "registration" to sign up)

        Aaron Marcavitch
        Battle of Bladensburg Task Force
      • kell svenningsen
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2014
          Norfolk Militia
          We will have the cannon there as well as the marque 'it is 12' x 18' if you
          have any question just e-mail me or phone 519-426-3610

          Kell Svenningsen