Recommendations for British Brogans

  • Iain
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2014
      All,

          With the thought of getting a pair of British Army brogans in time to be broken in for a lot of marching at Waterloo, I am looking for recommendations as to where to get them. I think I have exhausted the web searches looking for something specific to 1812, but have always been re-directed to ACW styles.

          At any rate, I am hoping the collected knowledge of the groups will be able to steer me in the right direction based on three criteria:

      1) Authenticity
      2) Durability
      3) Comfort

          I would like to say that money is no object, but reality will almost certainly rear its ugly head at some point as the price rises. I also realize that there might not be a 100% authentic option, so some amount of compromise may be required. All suggestions will be welcome.

      Thanks in advance,

      Aye,
      Iain Burns
      1st Royal Scots Reg't, Centre Coy, and
      42nd Royal Highland Reg't, No 3 Coy

    • petemonahan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2014

        Iain

        The only thing I know of on the market that is really accurate - you may recall that shoes are an interest of mine - is the C & D Jarnigan '1812 Period Low Quarter Military Shoe'.  Those are pretty close to a British issue "beef boot" - certainly the closest this side of the big pond that I know of without getting into custom work.  The other option, if those are too pricey, is to get a square toed low quarter buckle shoe sand buckles, which are usually extra anyway, bob the latchets and put in one or two lace holes each side.  By aware too that 'Jefferson shoe' meant any laced shoe from about 1810-1860ish and 'Jefferson bootees', popular in the CW period are too high for 1812.  Fugawee sells a Jefferson shoe, I think.

        So much for accuracy.  The gaiters to protect the stockings in low quarter  shoes c. 1812 will also cover up the too-high CW brogans, a route many re-enactors take for the ankle support on long marches.  Your call.

        My tuppence worth!

        Peter Monahan, sometime cobbler :)

      • petemonahan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17, 2014

          Update: Fugawee's "Fort Ligonier" shoe is also a good bet for our period - actually a British Army boot, not American as the Jarnigan boot is.  The beef boots don't seem to have changed much form that styleby 1812, though it's hard to be dogmatic, as even the British National Army Museum has no examples from earlier than the 1830s, by which time they are a brogan style.

          Peter

        • Iain