Burning of Dover Commemoration/Reenactment

  • angelawallace2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2014

      Hello,

      This year marks the 200th anniversary of the burning of Dover Mills (Port Dover, Ontario).  The Port Dover Harbour Museum would like to commemorate this historic event by holding a small scale re-enactment on Saturday, May 17th.  We would like to recreate the landing of the Americans on the beach, the subsequent skirmish, then the retreat and later the return of the Americans to burn Dover.

      The event will ideally involve the use of long boats or Boston Whalers (if there are any marine re-enactors who would be interested in participating and who have boats!)

      Participating re-enactors will receive a ticket to our pig roast, which will take place in the early evening .

      Should you wish to be a part of the event, please contact me directly.  We will require pre-registration for this event. We hope you will join us!

      Thank you in advance,

      Angela Wallace

    • oldstudent1955
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2014
        Hi Angela, I represent the 17th U.S./Croghan's Company.
        We have attended your event in years past, and I'm glad to see it returned.  Will you be hosting an encampment in the park?  The ladies of our company attend and enjoy sharing our campsite with the public.
        Beth
      • charlesfitton
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2014

          Ms Wallace

          I seem to be having no end of trouble replying to your request...so again..

          HMSchooner FERRET will likely be available for your event.

          We have attended many past events there, and truly enjoyed the sailing and hospitality.

          Perhaps even the "Heart of Darkness" tour may b available...

          C Fitton

          charlesfitton(at)yahoo.ca