RE: 1812 Digest Number 5801 - what a bloated digest looks like

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2014
      For the information of those who don't get the daily digest, #5801 is a classic example of what one looks like
      when responses to messages aren't properly trimmed...  Not fun to read.

      Jim Yaworsky
      Moderator

      Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:54:09 +0000
      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: 1812 Digest Number 5801

      The War of 1812

      13 New Messages

      Digest #5801

      Messages

      Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:22 am (PST) . Posted by:

      "Dennis Byrne" dennis.byrne@...

      Are you as appalled as I have become at Americans' lack of interest in and knowledge of the War of 1812?

      As I market my historical novel about the war, I've discovered that many Americans are not just disinterested in the war, but act as if it never happened.

      This is an important and fascinating phase of our history and I'm doing as much as possible to spread the word about a war I've become passionate about.

      My own friends, for example, have come away after having read the book, shocked by the events that their education roundly ignored. They've said: "What, you mean that we actually invaded Canada?" "You' re saying that northern states actually held a convention about seceding from the Union long before the South actually did?" I find it sad that such ignorance about the war is so common.

      I have been encouraged, however that my book seems to have helped in that it has been reviewed as a fast-paced and engaging way to learn about the war. I've been offering one free review copy to each war-connected group that I can find. I'm, of course, hoping that they'll like it and recommend it to their friends Or give it as a gift, for example, as a vehicle for helping to spread the word. If you're interested in a copy, please let me know.

      If you don't want to reply, you can check out the book at its website: http://www.madness. com. It's called "Madness: The War of 1812."

      Meanwhile, remember the Raisin!

      Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:01 am (PST) . Posted by:

      "John Locke" mo.mcguire@...

      We are a shanty crew based in Columbus Ohio "The Hardtackers" we have been
      booked for one 1812 event in the USA and five in Canada. There is the
      difference. Most US citizens have not a clue as to the war of 1812 and are
      not interested. We have tried to push for events over the last three years
      and we have been ignored. To a man and there are six of us, we have been
      impressed with the Canadian approach. The two main events that are this side
      of the border are the battle of New Orleans and the battle of Lake Erie,
      well I wonder what they have in common? I am aware of events to the north
      east of the country but very little promotion.

[...]

      Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:19 am (PST) . Posted by:

      "Michael Mathews" memathews@...

      This quarter I'm teaching an elective in my Middle School on the War of 1812.  Yesterday was our first day.  I asked them who declared war on whom?  80% insisted the British declared war first.  When I asked them to name one thing they knew for sure about the war it was an exercise in frustration.  Going to be an interesting nine weeks.

      Michael in Wisconsin

      ------------ --------- --------- ---
      No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop

      ____________ _________ _________ __
[...]

      Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:31 am (PST) . Posted by:

      "John Ogden" johnogden2001

      I can't seem to get the link to work. Is the book available on Amazon?

      --
      John J. Ogden

      Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:41 am (PST) . Posted by:

      john.matthew@...

      Americans -- and Canadians -- lack of interest in history in general is well documented.

      Many fail to correctly identify the century when the US Civil War was fought nor if Japan was on our side or not in World War II.

      Good luck with your novel but I think you have the wrong URL for it. Madness.com links to a squatter site.

      John Matthew IV

      ____________ _________ _________ __
[...]

      "David Hildebrand" davidkhildebrand

      Agreed on your main points, John and Dennis. But wait until you see what we have going on in Baltimore this September!

      Cheers, and I hope some of you are in the mood for snow today . . . . I am.

      David

      David Hildebrand, Ph.D.
      Director, The Colonial Music Institute
      276 Oak Court
      Severna Park, MD 21146
      410 544-6149, cell 410 852-3476
      director@colonialmu sic.org
      www.colonialmusic. org
      www.1812music. org
      "History Detectives" re: National Anthem
      Televised lecture on "The Star-Spangled Banner"
      1812 CD

[...]

      "Jeph Stahl" greatlakegamer

      I'm proud to say that our board game 1812: Invasion of Canada is now in its
      second printing and now available in english, french, german and spanish.
      I'm finding that many American reviews are learning their history of the
      war of 1812 for the first time when playing (
      http://www.boardgam egeek.com/ thread/840779/ what-we-invaded- canada-a- podcasters- overview- of-18
      )
      In the rules we have a historic overview written by Cheryl MacDonald that
      is becoming the first introduction to many people.

      Our follow up game, 1775: Rebellion, seems to be more popular with the
      Americans, but it then leads them to discover 1812.
      We are now working on the 1754: Conquest, which will cover the French
      Indian war using a similar game system.

      Cheers,
      Jeph Stahl

      On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Michael Mathews <memathews@att. net> wrote:

      > This quarter I'm teaching an elective in my Middle School on the War of
      > 1812. Yesterday was our first day. I asked them who declared war on
      > whom? 80% insisted the British declared war first. When I asked them
      > to name one thing they knew for sure about the war it was an exercise in
      > frustration. Going to be an interesting nine weeks.
      >
      > Michael in Wisconsin

      > No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop

      &

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)