Re: [WarOf1812] Digest Number 509: Sgt's Tool

  • Marilyn Penner
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2000
      Hello:

      Please explain to this neophyte how, when, where, why a Sgt's Tool [sergeant's tool?] is used and why it was given it's name. Was it to be used only by sergeants?

      Thank you.

      Marilyn P.
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2000
        A "Sergeants" tool is a "pocket tool" made for use with a soldiers firearm.
        They provided the soldier with the basic implements to dismantle and
        maintain their weapon in serviceable repair.In the case of the British army
        the tool was three pronged with one large screwdriver head for the
        lock-plate screws , a smaller one for the actual lock and a pin punch for
        the removal of the barrel and brasswork. The name I believe came from the
        early 1700's when only sergeants where issued them,(although I'm sure there
        is someone onlist who can give us a more accurate date) it would seem the
        army wasn't sure that everyone could dismantle their firelock and
        re-assemble it in it's desired configuration.

        Ad Hades Cum Sapentia
        Craig
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2000
          --- Craig Williams <sgtwarnr@...> wrote:
          > A "Sergeants" tool is a "pocket tool" made for use
          > with a soldiers firearm.
          > Ad Hades Cum Sapentia
          > Craig

          HA! I figured it was a bottle opener.
          I guess you don't need that when you carry a bayonet,
          right?
          Dan

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 28, 2000
            Dan

            I imagine that there isn't a beer bottle made that is safe as long as you
            have two teeth,one in each plate,opposing one another...kinda like a
            cartridge?

            in other words...we use the bayonet in polite company.

            Dan wrote
            >HA! I figured it was a bottle opener.
            >I guess you don't need that when you carry a bayonet,
            >right?
            >Dan

            >http://im.yahoo.com

            >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
            >1. Fill in the brief application
            >2. Receive approval decision within 30 seconds
            >3. Get rates as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR
            >Apply NOW!

            square miles...
          • JESSE PUDWELL
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2000
              Right you are Craig...1735 is the date I've read before.
              Apparently just at the beginning of the recognized decade for the official
              formation of the British Professional Army.