21 October

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2013
      To the Immortal Memory

      Pause to Remember all effected by the events off Cape Trafalgar in 1805.
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2013
        I second the motion, Peter.

        Last week [16-19] was the 200th anniversary of the battle of Leipzig. It was the largest battle to date with almost 400,000 troops taking art. At the end there were 100,000 dead. A sobering vision.

        Ray

        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        From: peter.catley@...
        Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:54:08 +0100
        Subject: 1812 21 October

        To the Immortal Memory

        Pause to Remember all effected by the events off Cape Trafalgar in 1805.

      • Michael Mathews
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2013
          And we were there on Sunday.  Leipzig was of monumental proportions.  More than just a defeat, it destroyed the Rheinbund while simultaneously giving rise to German nationalism that would lead to unification and that which followed, along with ensuring the 1st Abdication.

          Numbers reported at the reenactment will vary, but I know we had at least 3000 French and allied infantry (some of whom stuck it out), 25 guns and maybe 100 cavalry.  The Allies had us hugely outnumbered.

          Quote of the Week (slightly edited) to our mostly English speaking peloton: "Lieutenant, we have a butt load of Austrian grenadiers coming at our arse."

          Michael Mathews, still in Berlin

          No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop

          Last week [16-19] was the 200th anniversary of the battle of Leipzig. It was the largest battle to date with almost 400,000 troops taking art. At the end there were 100,000 dead. A sobering vision.

          Ray
          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com From: peter.catley@... Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:54:08 +0100 Subject: 1812 21 October
          To the Immortal Memory Pause to Remember all effected by the events off Cape Trafalgar in 1805.