RE: 1812 RE: Battle of Chateauguay

  • Tom Hurlbut
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2013

      I suspected that the weather had something to do with it and the likely fact that the park used was not likely open after Thanksgiving. As mentioned, Crysler’s Farm is held in July rather than November and Fort Niagara held theirs in September rather than December. I believe both those sites will be holding memorials on the anniversary dates this year.

      It is a shame that battles aren’t always fought during the summer season to better accommodate the re-enactments of them (tongue firmly in cheek, here!). We’ll need to mention that to the current crop of generals.

      As a student of our shared North American history and an active re-enactor of the War of 1812, I am merely lamenting the fact that there was a conflict of significant battle re-enactments that forced me to choose which one I would attend. I would have done both, if possible. That there were reasons for doing Chateauguay this past weekend as opposed to the anniversary weekend, I understand. Some of you may know that I led the “1000 Islands Voyage: the Mulcaster Mission” this past July. Operating open boats and camping outside over the course of a week in November just wasn’t going to happen.

      The 1812 re-enactment community is a small one and most of the time, we look to avoid event conflicts to better utilize our small numbers. That it is not always possible, I understand. From what I hear, Chateauguay was a great event and I am sorry to have missed it.

      “Major” Tom