Battle of Chateauguay

  • Victor Suthren
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2013

      Gentlemen

      Glad to hear of the re-enactment, but sorry it conflicted with the Battle of the Thames 200th. I’m sure you are all aware that the Battle of the Chateauguay was fought on Tuesday, October 26, 1813.

      See Suthren, V.: ‘The Battle of Chateauguay’, in Occasional Papers in Archeology and History (Ottawa, Parks Canada, 1973), No. 11, pp. 96-150.

      Vic Suthren

    • saultcitysoo
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2013

        Well, first of all, the weather at the end of October can be pretty iffy for camping out.

        Secondly, we don't know if the Ormstown Fairgrounds where the camps and facilities were located was available later on.

        And finally, celebrating the event a few weeks early is no biggy. After all, don't we do the Battle of Crysler's Farm in July, not on the actual November date?

        Unconfirmed reports say that between 1200 and 1500 spectators witnessed the battle. I know personally that there were many people touring the camp. Spectators were lined up for the buses that transported them to the battle site, and the buses never seemed to stop running!

        Visitors were fascinated by all of it! They had never had anything like it before and the enthusiasm was evident. What surprised me, was the large numbers of people who told me "my ancestor fought in this battle". Some of them came from as far away as Perth ON to experience this.

        And this was a one-time-only event.

        cheers,

        Sue Too

        ---In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <warof1812@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Gentlemen

        Glad to hear of the re-enactment, but sorry it conflicted with the Battle of the Thames 200th. I’m sure you are all aware that the Battle of the Chateauguay was fought on Tuesday, October 26, 1813.

        See Suthren, V.: ‘The Battle of Chateauguay’, in Occasional Papers in Archeology and History (Ottawa, Parks Canada, 1973), No. 11, pp. 96-150.

        Vic Suthren

      • Stephane Poirier
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2013
          Also to be considered are the limitations imposed on Parcs Canada in regards to budgets and scheduling . Having the event on the correct date would have meant an extra three weeks of overhead for the site. Something not feasible in this day and age of deep cutbacks.

          There will however be a formal ceremony to be held at the battlefield obelisk on the 26th October with many modern regiments attending

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2013

            Sue Too, et al

            I’m sure there were many good reasons for staging the re-enactment on the date selected, and it’s good to hear it was successful. It’s just that there is a certain special feeling about redoing an event, particularly a commemorative one like the 200th, on the actual date, and in similar conditions to what were experienced at the original. The interpretive film which showed for many years at Allan’s Corners at the Visitor Centre was filmed for Parks Canada in late October 1977, and having written a history of the battle I certainly came away with a much greater respect for the Canadian defenders---and the suffering of the Americans---in the frigid, drizzly conditions. (If anyone saw the film, I’m the US officer who gets shot off his horse by ‘De Salaberry. It was a long way down to the ground!’).

            Vic Suthren

          • Tom Hurlbut
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2013

              I suspected that the weather had something to do with it and the likely fact that the park used was not likely open after Thanksgiving. As mentioned, Crysler’s Farm is held in July rather than November and Fort Niagara held theirs in September rather than December. I believe both those sites will be holding memorials on the anniversary dates this year.

              It is a shame that battles aren’t always fought during the summer season to better accommodate the re-enactments of them (tongue firmly in cheek, here!). We’ll need to mention that to the current crop of generals.

              As a student of our shared North American history and an active re-enactor of the War of 1812, I am merely lamenting the fact that there was a conflict of significant battle re-enactments that forced me to choose which one I would attend. I would have done both, if possible. That there were reasons for doing Chateauguay this past weekend as opposed to the anniversary weekend, I understand. Some of you may know that I led the “1000 Islands Voyage: the Mulcaster Mission” this past July. Operating open boats and camping outside over the course of a week in November just wasn’t going to happen.

              The 1812 re-enactment community is a small one and most of the time, we look to avoid event conflicts to better utilize our small numbers. That it is not always possible, I understand. From what I hear, Chateauguay was a great event and I am sorry to have missed it.

              “Major” Tom