200th anniversary of the Battle of Chateauguay

  • piroum2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2013
      On behalf of the Quebec Historical Corps, I would like to thank all the regiments (American,British and Canadians) who attended last weekend , for their enthusiastic participation in the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Chateauguay. It was a joy ,an honour and a privilege to once again work with you ladies and gentlemen. Thank you !!!

      Our only regret was that it conflicted with the Battle of the Thames which unfortunately had a negative impact on numbers at both sites.

      Stephane Poirier

      President,QHC

      Sergeant, Canadian Voltigeurs

    • albany12122
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2013
        I would have loved to have been there...

        Unfortunately, at the Chateaugay crossing off NY 374, two over zealous customs and immigration folks with a serious attitude, were shaking reenactors down with their own unique interpretation of the Canadian firearms law, requiring the registration of my 1766 Charleville, because it actually could fire. All guns must registered, no exceptions. It was reproduction/replica, because it had a touch hole.

        I said I had been to Canada for 1812 events several times in the last two years , with no issues. The response was that all other agents had apparently not followed the law.

        I referred them to the law, which they refused to look up, and got a lecture about how it was not appropriate for an American to try and interpret Canadian law.

        At that point I asked for our passports back, and told them I was not going to register a gun that was exempt from the law. I was returning home.

        I then was told that I was "flagged", and that since I was now aware of the law, I would face serious charges for attempting to violate the law if I tried to enter Canada at a different crossing point. What does that mean to you?.

        If I wasn't trying to go into Canada I would have thought I was being shaken down by the stereotypical guards at a banana republic border.

        Anyway, I understand folks that did pay the registration fee got their money back and an apology when Parks Canada got involved.

        I suppose that's ok, but were the records expunged? Oh yeah, and I suppose I'm flagged for special treatment the next time I cross the border because I didn't "cooperate" with the border agents...

        Oh well.....

        I am glad you had a successful event

        John Osinski
        Kellogg's Company, NY Militia
        From: <piroum2003@...>
        Sender: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Date: 07 Oct 2013 07:34:49 -0700
        To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: 1812 200th anniversary of the Battle of Chateauguay

        On behalf of the Quebec Historical Corps, I would like to thank all the regiments (American,British and Canadians) who attended last weekend , for their enthusiastic participation in the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Chateauguay. It was a joy ,an honour and a privilege to once again work with you ladies and gentlemen. Thank you !!!

        Our only regret was that it conflicted with the Battle of the Thames which unfortunately had a negative impact on numbers at both sites.

        Stephane Poirier

        President,QHC

        Sergeant, Canadian Voltigeurs

      • Iain Burns
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2013

          John,

              I always try to have a copy of the law with me when I go o'er the border. It can be found on http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html and printed out as a PDF.

              Any time I had a customs agent with questions, I only had to show the printout with the replica section highlighted, and have been waved through with no further delay.

              It may be that I have only been lucky so far. In any case, I always try to remember that they are only trying to do their job, which (for both countries) is really all about protecting us.

          Aye,
          Iain
          1st Royal Scots, Centre Coy
          (New Jersey)

          I said I had been to Canada for 1812 events several times in the last two years , with no issues. The response was that all other agents had apparently not followed the law.

          I referred them to the law, which they refused to look up, and got a lecture about how it was not appropriate for an American to try and interpret Canadian law.

        • Tom Hurlbut
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2013

            That’s really too bad John. It always amazes me how a little authority can go to somebody’s head to the point where they get grandiose ideas about how they’re “saving the world”..

            I have heard about people printing out copies of the actual clauses in the firearms law that covers flintlocks and producing them to customs officials. If they persist in harassing you after that, then couldn’t they be accused of breaking the law?

            I was unable to attend this important event because I was at the Battle of the Thames , one equally important. I really wish that the events’ scheduling had not conflicted. I’m sure there were reasons. Oh well, maybe for the tri-centennial?

            “Major” Tom