HISTORIC FORT WILLOW
DEDICATED TO THE MEN OF THE ROYAL NEWFOUNDLAND REGIMENT OF FENCIBLE INFANTRY
In early 1814, 200 men of the Regiment marched more than 200 miles from Kingston - across frozen Kempenfeldt Bay and along the Nine-Mile Portage - to arrive here at the Willow Creek Depot. They built 29 batteaux before continuing their journey down Willow Creek and the Nottawasaga River, then across Georgian Bay to Michilimackinac (Fort Mackinac). They took with them 30 tons of supplies, desperately needed by the British garrison and its Native Allies, who had barely survived the winter on short provisions.
The Royal Newfoundlanders’ heroic journey allowed the British to retain control of the northwest, and ultimately emerge victorious from the War of 1812.
On September 11, 2014 the Friends of Historic Fort Willow and the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority will dedicate a memorial, at Fort Willow, to the men of the Royal Newfoundland Fencible Infantry who played such a vital role in the War of 1812 and the history of Simcoe County.
Details of the memorial and the dedication ceremony will follow. For further information, or to become involved in this project , contact Peter Monahan, Chair, Friends of Historic Fort Willow.
petemonahan@... or 705-435-0953