HAPPY 200!

  • David Hildebrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2013
      Here's a bumper for Oliver Hazzard Perry on the 200th, i.e., September the 10th in the morning --

            Cheers one and all!

                        David

      David Hildebrand, Ph.D.
      Director, The Colonial Music Institute
      276 Oak Court
      Severna Park, MD 21146
      410 544-6149, cell 410 852-3476

      Perry's Victory
      (Philadelphia: Geo. Willig, ca. 1813)

      As old Queen Charlotte, a worthless old varlet
         Our brave naval forces was scorning,
      She wished to be merry, so called for some Perry,
         September the tenth in the morning.
      When brisk Perry came, she found him true game,
         To her cost too, he gave her a warming,
      So let us be merry and remember Perry
        September the tenth in the morning.

      It was on Lake Erie , when all hands were cheery,
         A fleet was descried in morning,
      'Twas Queen Charlotte's fleet, so handsome and neat,
         In bold line of battle were forming;
      But when evening came, though the fleet were the same
         That our brave naval forces were scorning,
      They were beat, so complete, that they yielded the fleet,
         To the one they despis'd in the morning.

      Now let us remember the tenth of September,
         When Yankees gave Britons a warming,
      When our foes on Lake Erie , were beaten and weary,
         So full of conceit in the morning;
      To the skillful, and brave, who our country did save,
         Our gratitude ought to be warming,
      So let us be merry, in toasting of Perry,
         September the tenth in the morning.
    • Michael whittaker
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2013
        I do not regret the Americans were unable to take control of the remaining Great Lakes.