New to the group!

  • militia_1812
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
      Hi folks,I've been asked to post something about myself so I'll try to keep it brief! I teach Canadian and European history, I am the father of two young kids and the husband of a very patient wife. I have many interests not least of which is world politics and history. I am the C.O. of a reenactment unit, Thompson's Company.

      Thompson's Company is a new reenactment unit whose members come from the greater Toronto area, mainly the City of Missisauga in Canada. The Company is named for Captain William Thompson (1786-1860) who served with the 2nd Regiment of York Militia during the war.

      We are a newer unit formed to reconize the contributions of volunteer militiamen and First Nations people from Toronto Township (now the City of Mississauga) who initially served in the Flank Companies of the 2nd Regiment of the York Militia. Many of them were present at and participated in battles along the Niagara frontier, including Chippawa, Burlington Heights, Fort Detroit, Fort Erie, Fort George, Fort York, Lundy's Lane, Queenston Heights, St. David's and Stoney Creek.

      Our mission is to educate, promote and re-enact the history of the War of 1812 as well as the lifestyles of the period in historic Mississauga, and the connections between militia volunteers from historic Mississauga and their service during the War of 1812. The Company functions, in part, as an educational component of Heritage Mississauga by participating in community events and functions and through re-enactments. Heritage Mississauga is a not-for-profit organization that is dedicated to promotion of local heritage. Heritage Mississauga's mission is to "research, record and communicate Mississauga's rich and diverse heritage" (www.heritagemississauga.com).
    • Craig Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
        Perhaps you could tell us your name?

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 2013-08-17, at 9:11, "militia_1812" <gregorycarraro@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,I've been asked to post something about myself so I'll try to keep it brief! I teach Canadian and European history, I am the father of two young kids and the husband of a very patient wife. I have many interests not least of which is world politics and history. I am the C.O. of a reenactment unit, Thompson's Company.
        >
        > Thompson's Company is a new reenactment unit whose members come from the greater Toronto area, mainly the City of Missisauga in Canada. The Company is named for Captain William Thompson (1786-1860) who served with the 2nd Regiment of York Militia during the war.
        >
        > We are a newer unit formed to reconize the contributions of volunteer militiamen and First Nations people from Toronto Township (now the City of Mississauga) who initially served in the Flank Companies of the 2nd Regiment of the York Militia. Many of them were present at and participated in battles along the Niagara frontier, including Chippawa, Burlington Heights, Fort Detroit, Fort Erie, Fort George, Fort York, Lundy's Lane, Queenston Heights, St. David's and Stoney Creek.
        >
        > Our mission is to educate, promote and re-enact the history of the War of 1812 as well as the lifestyles of the period in historic Mississauga, and the connections between militia volunteers from historic Mississauga and their service during the War of 1812. The Company functions, in part, as an educational component of Heritage Mississauga by participating in community events and functions and through re-enactments. Heritage Mississauga is a not-for-profit organization that is dedicated to promotion of local heritage. Heritage Mississauga's mission is to "research, record and communicate Mississauga's rich and diverse heritage" (www.heritagemississauga.com).

      • gary beauregard
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
          I figured it was Gregory Carraro.

          ________________________________
          On 2013-08-17, at 9:11, "militia_1812" <mailto:gregorycarraro%40rogers.com> wrote:

          > Hi folks,I've been asked to post something about myself so I'll try to keep it brief! I teach Canadian and European history, I am the father of two young kids and the husband of a very patient wife. I have many interests not least of which is world politics and history. I am the C.O. of a reenactment unit, Thompson's Company.
          >
          > Thompson's Company is a new reenactment unit whose members come from the greater Toronto area, mainly the City of Missisauga in Canada. The Company is named for Captain William Thompson (1786-1860) who served with the 2nd Regiment of York Militia during the war.
          >
          > We are a newer unit formed to reconize the contributions of volunteer militiamen and First Nations people from Toronto Township (now the City of Mississauga) who initially served in the Flank Companies of the 2nd Regiment of the York Militia. Many of them were present at and participated in battles along the Niagara frontier, including Chippawa, Burlington Heights, Fort Detroit, Fort Erie, Fort George, Fort York, Lundy's Lane, Queenston Heights, St. David's and Stoney Creek.
          >
          > Our mission is to educate, promote and re-enact the history of the War of 1812 as well as the lifestyles of the period in historic Mississauga, and the connections between militia volunteers from historic Mississauga and their service during the War of 1812. The Company functions, in part, as an educational component of Heritage Mississauga by participating in community events and functions and through re-enactments. Heritage Mississauga is a not-for-profit organization that is dedicated to promotion of local heritage. Heritage Mississauga's mission is to "research, record and communicate Mississauga's rich and diverse heritage" (http://www.heritagemississauga.com/).

        • Matthew James Didier
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
            As a member of Thompson's as well, yup, it's Gregory Carraro.

            Matthew Didier

            At 05:37 PM 17/08/2013, you wrote:

            >I figured it was Gregory Carraro.

            >From: Craig Williams <<mailto:sgtwarner%40sympatico.ca>sgtwarner@...>

          • Craig Williams
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
              Oddly the address/ top line was not visible on my service until you forwarded it .

              Sent from my iPhone