Re: 1812 Battle of New Orleans Event

  • Steve Abolt
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
      Ann,

      To clarify, The info I posted was for 2015, the actual Bicentennial Commemoration.

      In 2014, meaning this coming January, the contact person is Ron Merrill of the NPS.  Anyone wishing to participate at the Chalmette Battlefield must be approved by the NPS.  They should contact Ron directly at Ron_Merrill@...

      The event at the NPS site is all volunteer.  Meaning no one is getting a stipend, paycheck etc.

      We will be announcing the events planned by the 7th INF for the 2015 Commemoration at Mississinewa on Sunday Oct, 13 of this year.

      S.

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 12, 2013
        The National Park Service and St Bernard Parish should be putting on their usual show in 2014. I don't know the exact dates but since Jan 8 is on a Wednesday, the Park Service event should be on the 10th, 11th, and 12th. Friday is the day the local schools send busloads of kids, so things can get a little rowdy but the public is still invited. Saturday is the day devoted to the general public. Sunday is reserved for wreath layings and memorial ceremonies. Parking is at a premium, so visitors park off-site and are shuttled to the battlefield.

        Keep an eye on http://www.nps.gov/jela/chalmette-battlefield.htm for further developments.

        LT