Press Release - National War of 1812 Veteran Graveside Recognition Project - Plaque Laying - Sunday, July 28th - 12:00pm.

  • David Brunelle
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2013
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!

      National War of 1812 Veteran Graveside Recognition Project

      Inaugural Plaque Laying Ceremony

      Sunday, July, 28th, 2013, 12:00 noon

      St. James on-the-lines Anglican Church

      215 Church Street, Penetanguishene, Ontario, Canada

      A national project that is unique in Canadian History to honour veterans of
      the War of 1812 will begin at St. James-on-the-Lines Anglican Church in
      Penetanguishene Ontario on Sunday, July 28, 2013. The first two granite
      plaques to mark the graves of veterans of the War of 1812 will be unveiled
      in a ceremony at the church cemetery following the service. The unveiling
      ceremony will take place at approximately 12:00 noon.

      This is a massive national project initiated by the Historic Military
      Establishment of Upper Canada, a not for profit charitable volunteer
      organization based in Penetanguishene. This project will see us map and
      identify veterans of the War of 1812 and mark their graves with a bilingual
      black granite plaque so all Canadians can honour their service to our
      nation.

      The details of this bicentennial project can be viewed at a recently
      launched website: www.1812veterans.ca.

      This project was fortunate enough to receive funding from the Federal
      government War of 1812 Commemorative Fund and our organization thankfully
      acknowledges the support of the Government of Canada for this Bicentennial
      initiative.

      This is a national project that has a website dedicated to providing a
      searchable data base of the biographies of War of 1812 veterans for the use
      of students and researchers alike, a data base that until now has never been
      attempted. Each plaque placed at a War of 1812 Veteran's gravesite across
      Canada will relate to corresponding biographies of the veterans with the
      location of the grave on our website. Over the first phase of the project we
      hope to add up to 1000 War of 1812 veterans across the country and post the
      biographies that will tell the stories of these Canadian heroes.

      We encourage the public to attend this most historic plaque unveiling and
      honour local War of 1812 Veterans - Captain James Keating - R.A. and Admiral
      John Moberly - R.N.

      Our organization has taken on the project to ensure that the War of 1812
      veterans get the recognition that they deserve, not only in the defense of
      Canada, but also for their dedication in building the foundation of the
      Canada that we live in today.

      For more information contact:

      David Brunelle
      davidbrunelle@...
      705-716-7124

      or

      Lyn Downer
      lyn.downer@...
      705-361-1257

      David J. Brunelle, OCT

      Project Director

      Southern Georgian Bay

      War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee

      705-716-7124

      www.1812bicentennial.com

      SGB Logo English.jpg

    • Brian Rollason
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2013
        David...is this the plaque you were talking about that my gggggg grandfather can get his name on for fighting in 1812?

        Sent from my iPad

        On 2013-07-15, at 12:22 PM, "David Brunelle" <davidbrunelle@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > of students and researchers alike, a data base that until now has never been
        > attempted. Each plaque placed at a War of 1812 Veteran's gravesite across
        > Canada will relate to corresponding biographies of the veterans with the
        > location of the grave on our website. Over the first phase of the project we
        > hope to add up to 1000 War of 1812 veterans across the country and post the
        > biographies that will tell the stories of these Canadian heroes.
        >
        > We encourage the public to attend this most historic plaque unveiling and
        > honour local War of 1812 Veterans - Captain James Keating - R.A. and Admiral
        > John Moberly - R.N.
        >
        > Our organization has taken on the project to ensure that the War of 1812
        > veterans get the recognition that they deserve, not only in the defense of
        > Canada, but also for their dedication in building the foundation of the

      • David Brunelle
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
          Hi Brian,

          Yes it is. However there is allot more to it. Please go to the website at www.1812veterans.ca and review the application and information.