New event

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2013
      Hello folks,

      I am posting this on behalf of Mike McAllister at the City of Hamilton.

      September the 21st is a Saturday.

      Hamilton�s 1812 Bicentennial Commemoration

      SIGNATURE EVENT: Hamilton & Scourge National Historic Site & Memorial

      Historical Quick Facts

      The Hamilton and Scourge were two merchant schooners pressed into
      service by the United States Navy during the War of 1812.
      In the predawn hours of August 8, 1813 the squadrons of the United
      States and Royal Navy lay watching one another in a dead calm,
      awaiting fresh breezes,10.5 km off of what is today the City of St.
      Catharines.
      On August 8, 2013, a sudden squall tore through both squadrons sending
      the armed schooners Hamilton and Scourge to the bottom of Lake Ontario.
      53 sailors perished in the largest loss of life on Lake Ontario during
      the war.

      Modern Day Quick Facts

      2013 marks the 200th anniversary of the sinking of the Hamilton and
      Scourge.
      The ships currently sit upright and intact 90 metres (300 feet)
      beneath the surface of Lake Ontario.
      The ships were discovered in 1973, became a National Historic Site in
      1976, and have been owned and managed by the City of Hamilton since
      1980.
      � The schooners have been the subject of 5 official underwater
      surveys by 2009.

      � Survey work allows the City to monitor the condition of the
      vessels, the associated artefacts in the debris field and the remains
      of the fallen interred around and within the hulls.

      Event Information -- Hamilton & Scourge Memorial (September 2013)

      � To mark the 200th Anniversary of the largest loss of personnel
      for the United States Navy on Lake Ontario during the war, the City of
      Hamilton along with dignitaries from the United States Consulate
      General, Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Coast Guard, members of
      provincial and federal parliament and the British High Commission will
      have an opportunity to offer words of remembrance during a ceremony
      near to the site of the tragic sinking that will commemorate the
      fallen and celebrate peace between Canada and the United States over
      the last two hundred years.

      � The names of the lost sailors will be read to the tolling of
      the ship�s bell and flowers will be placed on the water as a lament is
      played followed by the last post.

      � The ceremony will form the centre piece of a documentary film
      entitled On the Water. The premier of the film will occur at a
      separate special event on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at Dundurn
      National Historic Site.

      � Complementing the film will be an artistic impression of the
      sinking of Hamilton and Scourge by the Hamilton Aerial Group, choral
      music by the Bach Elgar Choir. There will also be a parade of giant
      puppet characters, puppet shows in the Cockpit theatre by Studio
      Babette, marching and dress-up with the naval and military re-
      enactors, a hands on discovery gallery, as well as fun and fanciful
      food from local Hamilton food trucks.

      � Free admission to Dundurn Castle and the Hamilton Military
      Museum is available between 12pm and 4pm for the event.

      September 21, 2013

      Presented By: Hamilton & Scourge National Historic Site of Canada and
      Dundurn National Historic Site of Canada

      Join us for a full day of events to celebrate 200 years of peace and
      remember the 53 American sailors who lost their lives during the
      sinking of the United States Navy schooners Hamilton and Scourge, in
      August of 1813. Taking place on the grounds of Dundurn National
      Historic Site the event will feature the debut of On-the-Water, a film
      made during the recent commemoration ceremony on September 4, on the
      flight deck of the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Griffon over the site of
      the sunken ships. Immediately following the film there will be special
      reflective performances by the Bach Elgar Choir and the Hamilton
      Aerial Group. Throughout the day there will be music, indoor and
      outdoor children�s activities such as military drills and dress-up.
      Dundurn Castle and the Hamilton Military Museum will also be offering
      free admission beginning at 12:00 p.m. Time: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM Ages:
      All Cost: Free Contact: 905-546-2424, ext. 4797, dundurn@..., www.hamilton-scourge.hamilton.ca

      Please respond to Mike directly and copy me (Craig Williams sgtwarner@...
      ) with your interest if you and/or your group would like to
      participate.
      This will give us an idea of numbers and how best to employ them. Our
      participation will be largely educational to the public.

      1812 Hamilton Signature Events Series

      200th anniversary of the Battle of Stoney Creek (June 1-2, 2013)
      Canadian International Military Tattoo (June 8-9, 2013)
      Tall Ships� Hamilton (June 28 to June 30, 2013)
      Hamilton & Scourge Memorial (September 2013)

      Key Contacts

      Michael McAllister B.A., M.A.
      Curatorial Assistant
      Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology
      Hamilton & Scourge National Historic Site
      Tourism & Culture
      Planning & Economic Development
      City of Hamilton
      (905) 546-2424 ext 4797