Beaver Dams - June 22-23 2013 UPDATE and Registration

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2013
      Hey folks,

      I am passing this along on behalf of Mr Rittner.
      Please contact him if you are interested in joining in.

      So far I believe he has had no indicated interest from the native/
      first nations reenactors, which would greatly enhance this event. It
      is their victory after all.
      This event looks to be a great way to connect with the public, tell
      the story and have some fun!

      > I finally have more particulars regarding the Beaver Dams
      > Commemoration Weekend. June 22-23, 2013.
      > As mentioned before the Thorold 1812 Bicentennial Committee asked
      > myself and the 49th to help with the event. We are not organising
      > the entire event just helping with re-enactors our displays.
      > As of before, there is NO full scale re-enactment. This event is in
      > conjunction with other local events and is the rendezvous point for
      > the Laura Secord Walk and the 200th Anniversary commemoration of the
      > Battle of Beaver Dams. It is expected to be very well attended by
      > spectators.
      > The plan is to portray the 50 man British Outpost on the original
      > Decew House where the James Fitzgibbon commanded the infamous
      > company of the 49th Regiment of Foot and the attached native
      > contingent.
      > We anticipated a smaller event amongst other events that mimics the
      > on goings of running a proper military HQ and outpost. The
      > organizers whole heartedly support us.
      >
      > The Decew Heritage Park has been nicely rehabilitated and there is
      > ample room for all activities and our military bivouac. There will
      > be on site portable toilets and potable water supply, There are
      > several nice trails along a picturesque water shed area. The other
      > half of the park will host a festival like atmosphere and stage.
      > There is also field for parade activities. See attached map and
      > schedule of events.
      > In addition to the schedule, Our role is act as the military
      > presence and throughout the day impressions of a military camp,
      > posting sentries, send off patrols, musket line demos, commemorative
      > ceremony, etc.
      >
      > They will be providing a cord of firewood, toilets, potable water,
      > local transport if needed, and on-site parking.
      > Breakfasts (Sat/Sun) is provided as well as a Saturday night pasta
      > dinner at a local church facility. I did not ask for straw as that
      > is usually just a mess for someone else to clean up. If I have
      > forgotten anything please let me know.
      >
      > At this point I am asking you to forward this accompanying
      > information to your unit members and please return a registration or
      > email to let me know how many are coming.
      >
      > Our goal is to have approximately 50 redcoats from various units
      > that will act as one company for the weekend.
      >

      > Adrian Rittner
      > 49th Regiment of Foot (recreated)
      > Canadian Military Heritage Society
      > 905-658-4577

    • Gigi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2013
        The 2nd Lincoln's have also been invited by the committee and will be set-up across the park. Also participating in events, musket demos, children's activities, walks through the city of Thorold as well.

        There will be shuttles running every 15 min from the municipal buildings across from Brock U. This is a good place to park as roads will be closed during the day!

        Sincerely,
        Gigi McAndrews
        Secretary,
        2nd Reg't of Lincoln Militia

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:

        > Hey folks,
        >
        > I am passing this along on behalf of Mr Rittner.
        > Please contact him if you are interested in joining in.
        >
        > So far I believe he has had no indicated interest from the native/
        > first nations reenactors, which would greatly enhance this event. It
        > is their victory after all.
        > This event looks to be a great way to connect with the public, tell
        > the story and have some fun!
        >

        > > I finally have more particulars regarding the Beaver Dams
        > > Commemoration Weekend. June 22-23, 2013.
        > > As mentioned before the Thorold 1812 Bicentennial Committee asked
        > > myself and the 49th to help with the event. We are not organising
        > > the entire event just helping with re-enactors our displays.
        > > As of before, there is NO full scale re-enactment. This event is in
        > > conjunction with other local events and is the rendezvous point for
        > > the Laura Secord Walk and the 200th Anniversary commemoration of the
        > > Battle of Beaver Dams. It is expected to be very well attended by
        > > spectators.
        > > The plan is to portray the 50 man British Outpost on the original
        > > Decew House where the James Fitzgibbon commanded the infamous
        > > company of the 49th Regiment of Foot and the attached native
        > > contingent.
        > > We anticipated a smaller event amongst other events that mimics the
        > > on goings of running a proper military HQ and outpost. The
        > > organizers whole heartedly support us.
        > >
        > > The Decew Heritage Park has been nicely rehabilitated and there is
        > > ample room for all activities and our military bivouac. There will
        > > be on site portable toilets and potable water supply, There are
        > > several nice trails along a picturesque water shed area. The other
        > > half of the park will host a festival like atmosphere and stage.
        > > There is also field for parade activities. See attached map and
        > > schedule of events.
        > > In addition to the schedule, Our role is act as the military
        > > presence and throughout the day impressions of a military camp,
        > > posting sentries, send off patrols, musket line demos, commemorative
        > > ceremony, etc.
        > >
        > > They will be providing a cord of firewood, toilets, potable water,
        > > local transport if needed, and on-site parking.
        > > Breakfasts (Sat/Sun) is provided as well as a Saturday night pasta
        > > dinner at a local church facility. I did not ask for straw as that
        > > is usually just a mess for someone else to clean up. If I have
        > > forgotten anything please let me know.
        > >
        > > At this point I am asking you to forward this accompanying
        > > information to your unit members and please return a registration or
        > > email to let me know how many are coming.
        > >
        > > Our goal is to have approximately 50 redcoats from various units
        > > that will act as one company for the weekend.
        > >

        > > Adrian Rittner
        > > 49th Regiment of Foot (recreated)
        > > Canadian Military Heritage Society
        > > 905-658-4577

      • Adrian Rittner
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2013
          There will be parking available just offsite of the park down the street;
          devoted to event staff, volunteers, and re-enactors.

          I don`t suggest trying to shuttle your way there. I do suggest coming to the
          park for camp setup and once off loaded move your vehicles to the designated
          parking area on Decew Road.

          Below is a map form the organisers regarding the shuttle route. Decew House
          Heritage park is marked as Site A. You can see how it is accessed from Hwy
          #406.

          Decew House is 2440 Decew Rd - 0.5 km west of the intersection of
          Merrittville Hwy and Decew Road, Thorold, Ontario.

          Please keep in mind I am not the event coordinator and was only asked to
          help out. I will help with any answers the best I can if needed.

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          Craig Williams <sgtwarner@...> wrote:

          > Hey folks,
          >
          > I am passing this along on behalf of Mr Rittner.
          > Please contact him if you are interested in joining in.
          >
          > So far I believe he has had no indicated interest from the native/
          > first nations reenactors, which would greatly enhance this event. It
          > is their victory after all.
          > This event looks to be a great way to connect with the public, tell
          > the story and have some fun!
          >

          > > I finally have more particulars regarding the Beaver Dams
          > > Commemoration Weekend. June 22-23, 2013.
          > > As mentioned before the Thorold 1812 Bicentennial Committee asked
          > > myself and the 49th to help with the event. We are not organising
          > > the entire event just helping with re-enactors our displays.
          > > As of before, there is NO full scale re-enactment. This event is in
          > > conjunction with other local events and is the rendezvous point for
          > > the Laura Secord Walk and the 200th Anniversary commemoration of the
          > > Battle of Beaver Dams. It is expected to be very well attended by
          > > spectators.
          > > The plan is to portray the 50 man British Outpost on the original
          > > Decew House where the James Fitzgibbon commanded the infamous
          > > company of the 49th Regiment of Foot and the attached native
          > > contingent.
          > > We anticipated a smaller event amongst other events that mimics the
          > > on goings of running a proper military HQ and outpost. The
          > > organizers whole heartedly support us.
          > >
          > > The Decew Heritage Park has been nicely rehabilitated and there is
          > > ample room for all activities and our military bivouac. There will
          > > be on site portable toilets and potable water supply, There are
          > > several nice trails along a picturesque water shed area. The other
          > > half of the park will host a festival like atmosphere and stage.
          > > There is also field for parade activities. See attached map and
          > > schedule of events.
          > > In addition to the schedule, Our role is act as the military
          > > presence and throughout the day impressions of a military camp,
          > > posting sentries, send off patrols, musket line demos, commemorative
          > > ceremony, etc.
          > >
          > > They will be providing a cord of firewood, toilets, potable water,
          > > local transport if needed, and on-site parking.
          > > Breakfasts (Sat/Sun) is provided as well as a Saturday night pasta
          > > dinner at a local church facility. I did not ask for straw as that
          > > is usually just a mess for someone else to clean up. If I have
          > > forgotten anything please let me know.
          > >
          > > At this point I am asking you to forward this accompanying
          > > information to your unit members and please return a registration or
          > > email to let me know how many are coming.
          > >
          > > Our goal is to have approximately 50 redcoats from various units
          > > that will act as one company for the weekend.
          > >

          > > Adrian Rittner
          > > 49th Regiment of Foot (recreated)
          > > Canadian Military Heritage Society
          > > 905-658-4577