Re: 1812 NY State Article 265.01

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2013
      That seems like sound advice.
      We have been through shifting firearms laws on both sides of the border. Piling on from a foreign country will not help the cause of reenacting.
      You will note that most of the clauses mention intent or while committing a felony.
      As a foreigner, I have some faith the New York State authorities will not be arresting me unless I demonstrate illegal behaviour that would allow them to tag on this charge.
      A radio station in Buffalo has the weekly 'Niagara Falls Police Blotter'. Their number one lesson - one dumb thing will usually lead to a long list of charges.

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

      > All of us may have opinions, on this matter but if you want something that you can really sink your teeth into, then I suggest that you direct your question to this site. Since this concerns many of us, the moderator of this group may like to be the spokesperson.
      > Contact the Attorney General - Eric T. Schneiderman | New ...
      > Our Office. Bio of the Attorney General; Executive Offices. Albany; New York Office; ... New York State Task Force; Reporting
      > Human Trafficking; Social Service Providers;
      > www.ag.ny.gov/contact-attorney-general - Cached
      >

      > ________________________________

    • ucmilitiagreen
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2013
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jhill@...> wrote:

        > You will note that most of the clauses mention intent or while committing a felony.

        True enough, except for:

        "A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
        degree when:
        5) He possesses any dangerous or deadly weapon and is not a citizen of the United States"

        Which is the piece of legislation Canadians and other non-US citizens should be concerned about when attending reenactments in New York State. Unless something has changed.

        Raiffe.
      • Michael whittaker
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2013
          I read in this exchange the paranoia our American friends tend to feel about Canadian gun laws.

          Has anyone contacted Albany to get the word from the horse's mouth, or other orifice?

          Michael Whittaker

        • gary beauregard
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2013
            Sorry Mike, no paranoia here, regarding New York's new rule. We're only concerned for you "Northland" gentlemen.