NY State Article 265.01

  • ucmilitiagreen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2013
      Good evening,

      I was wondering if anyone knew if there have been any changes to New York State's Article 265.01 law that passed at the beginning of the year and was supposed to come into effect mid-March? As-written it would make any non-US citizen guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree if he were found in the state with just about any weapon, including a'dangerous knife' and 'antique' as well as 'muzzle-loading' firearms:

      http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0265.01_265.01.html

      Which pretty well covers anything reenactors carry. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

      Thank you.

      Raiffe.
    • gary beauregard
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2013
        All of us may have opinions, on this matter but if you want something that you can really sink your teeth into, then I suggest that you direct your question to this site. Since this concerns many of us, the moderator of this group may like to be the spokesperson.
        Contact the Attorney General - Eric T. Schneiderman | New ...
        Our Office. Bio of the Attorney General; Executive Offices. Albany; New York Office; ... New York State Task Force; Reporting
        Human Trafficking; Social Service Providers;
        www.ag.ny.gov/contact-attorney-general - Cached

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2013
          That seems like sound advice.
          We have been through shifting firearms laws on both sides of the border. Piling on from a foreign country will not help the cause of reenacting.
          You will note that most of the clauses mention intent or while committing a felony.
          As a foreigner, I have some faith the New York State authorities will not be arresting me unless I demonstrate illegal behaviour that would allow them to tag on this charge.
          A radio station in Buffalo has the weekly 'Niagara Falls Police Blotter'. Their number one lesson - one dumb thing will usually lead to a long list of charges.

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, gary beauregard <beau@...> wrote:

          > All of us may have opinions, on this matter but if you want something that you can really sink your teeth into, then I suggest that you direct your question to this site. Since this concerns many of us, the moderator of this group may like to be the spokesperson.
          > Contact the Attorney General - Eric T. Schneiderman | New ...
          > Our Office. Bio of the Attorney General; Executive Offices. Albany; New York Office; ... New York State Task Force; Reporting
          > Human Trafficking; Social Service Providers;
          > www.ag.ny.gov/contact-attorney-general - Cached
          >

          > ________________________________

        • ucmilitiagreen
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2013
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jhill@...> wrote:

            > You will note that most of the clauses mention intent or while committing a felony.

            True enough, except for:

            "A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
            degree when:
            5) He possesses any dangerous or deadly weapon and is not a citizen of the United States"

            Which is the piece of legislation Canadians and other non-US citizens should be concerned about when attending reenactments in New York State. Unless something has changed.

            Raiffe.
          • Michael whittaker
            Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2013
              I read in this exchange the paranoia our American friends tend to feel about Canadian gun laws.

              Has anyone contacted Albany to get the word from the horse's mouth, or other orifice?

              Michael Whittaker

            • gary beauregard
              Message 6 of 6 , May 16, 2013
                Sorry Mike, no paranoia here, regarding New York's new rule. We're only concerned for you "Northland" gentlemen.