Special program Fort Meigs: artillery duel May 3

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2013
      PRESS RELEASE

      04/24/2013

      For Immediate Release
      Contact:
      Rick Finch or Dan Woodward
      419-874-4121

      rfinch@...

      dwoodward@...
      First Seige 1813 Bicentennial Event

      at Fort Meigs

      May 3-5

      Perrysburg, Ohio- Gather the troops and head to Perrysurg and Maumee on Friday, May 3rd to witness a once in a lifetime nighttime artillery duel across the Maumee River. War of 1812 re-enactors will stage an artillery duel across the Maumee as the kick-off event of Fort Meigs' First Siege 1813 Bicentennial event.

      The artillery duel will feature cannon fire from both sides of the river as well as ground charges to replicate the bombardment of Fort Meigs during the First Seige. The program will start at approximately 8:00 p.m. and last until 8:30 p.m.

      To get the best view of the duel we recommend parking at Orleans Park in Perrysburg and taking the lighted walking trail from Orleans Park to the fort property at the south side of the Perrysburg/Maumee Bridge. You can watch from the property by the bridge, from the pedestrian section of the bridge, or from the flood plain below the fort. In Maumee, we recommend watching from the towpath trail at the base of the bridge or from the pedestrain section of the bridge.

      This Friday night program is free. Please call the fort for admission rates to the events on Saturday and Sunday (800.283.8916) or visit www.fortmeigs.org

      Fort Meigs is located one mile west of downtown Perrysburg at 29100 W. River Road. For more information call 800-283-8916 or visit www.fortmeigs.org