Re: 1812 Re: Bearskin Shako

  • Stuart Murray
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
      Yes the 1800-1815 type.

      ________________________________
      From: royalscotstailor <kevingarrett@...>
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 4:52 PM
      Subject: 1812 Re: Bearskin Shako

      What time period? I've made them for 1812... sell them for about $450 but shipping is an issue since they're made from RDB ( real dead bear )

      Kevin

      --- In mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com, "stuartmurray1812" <stuartmurray1812@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > I am interested in purchasing a bearskin shako for my drummers impression this year and am wondering if any one knows where i could find one used or new, and how much it would cost.
      > Cheers
      > Stuart

    • shayna121
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
        Stuart,
        I thought you might be interested in knowing that Insepction Returns show that the 1st Battalion Royal Scots did not have bearskins in either 1812 or 1816 (they don't appear to have been inspected in between). That goes for Grenadiers and Drummers/Fifers. The fact that they had spent years in the West Indies before coming to Canada is likely the reason for this.

        Chris

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Murray <stuartmurray1812@...> wrote:

        > Yes the 1800-1815 type.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • gary beauregard
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
          JJ Newberry makes them too. His Bearskin comes from Canada and is first rate. He's made several for me and his email is jjnewberry@...

          ________________________________
          What time period? I've made them for 1812... sell them for about $450 but shipping is an issue since they're made from RDB ( real dead bear )

          Kevin

          --- In mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com, "stuartmurray1812" <stuartmurray1812@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > I am interested in purchasing a bearskin shako for my drummers impression this year and am wondering if any one knows where i could find one used or new, and how much it would cost.
          > Cheers
          > Stuart

        • Stuart Murray
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
            Hey Chris,
            I know that the Royals (especially the lights) wouldn't have bearskins. It would be for a general portrayal of a musician during the 19 century. Mainly for living history encampments.
            Cheers
            Stuart

            ________________________________
            I thought you might be interested in knowing that Insepction Returns show that the 1st Battalion Royal Scots did not have bearskins in either 1812 or 1816 (they don't appear to have been inspected in between). That goes for Grenadiers and Drummers/Fifers. The fact that they had spent years in the West Indies before coming to Canada is likely the reason for this.

            Chris

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Murray <stuartmurray1812@...> wrote:

            > Yes the 1800-1815 type.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • royalscotstailor
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
              Who said he was doing Royal Scots?

              Kevin

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "shayna121" <PrivateCannon@...> wrote:
              1st Battalion Royal Scots did not have bearskins in either 1812 or 1816

              > Chris
              >
              > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Murray <stuartmurray1812@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes the 1800-1815 type.
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • royalscotstailor
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 25, 2013
                So Stuart, can I sell you one ?

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Murray <stuartmurray1812@...> wrote:

                > Hey Chris,
                > I know that the Royals (especially the lights) wouldn't have bearskins. It would be for a general portrayal of a musician during the 19 century. Mainly for living history encampments.
                > Cheers
                > Stuart
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Stuart Murray
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 26, 2013
                  I will be purchasing one but later on this year. So expect an order from me some time around August.
                  Cheers
                  Stuart

                  ________________________________
                  > I know that the Royals (especially the lights) wouldn't have bearskins. It would be for a general portrayal of a musician during the 19 century. Mainly for living history encampments.
                  > Cheers
                  > Stuart

                • moosenmoo35244
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 27, 2014

                    British plated bearskin shako. Handmade from real pelt. For a bucket head....size 7 3/4.

                    $300...you pay actual shipping.

                    Send me your email address if you want pictures.
                    C. McCulloh
                    moosenmoo35244 at m s n dot com