Question about tufts & Highland Bonnets

  • Jamie Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2013
      Good Day,

      I've had a stock of 93rd lace, buttons, and wool hanging out for a couple years and thought I'd make a light infantry kit with it. I wanted to post two questions that I've been having a hard time pinning down.

      1. The wool tufts for the wings, I've seen yarn, roving, and worsted wool tape stripped. Is there a consensus on method?

      2. THe highland bonnets, the attachment of the hackle and the ostrich feathers is a big question for me. I have several hand made pages from re-enactors, showing sewing directly to the bonnet, but no period documents. Were they attached in a way that allowed the troops to take them off for ship transport or rain? If so, were they in one piece like the hackle?

      Thanks for the time and patience, If I have rehashed old questions I apologize.

      Jamie Robinson