Re: 1812 Re: Indian Department

  • annwass2000
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 10 9:23 AM
      I am so poor that I have to wear my cloths until they rot off my back. You will not see bowler hats in 1812 but you would see tricorn's.
      Not sure how many tricornes would still be around. Hats do wear out, and, given that a poor man likely only had one, I'm not sure what kind of shape it would be in after 20 or so years.

      Given the following observation was in the U.S., not Canada,and in 1818, but I do think the "frontier" thing can be over-stated. Morris Birkbeck, traveling from England, observed in Princeton, Indiana, "One year ago the neighborhood of this very town of Princeton, was clad in 'buckskin;' now the men appear at church in good blue cloth, and the women in fine calicoes and straw bonnets."

      Ann Wass

      On 2013-04-09, at 16:15, "doucanu2" <doucanu2@...> wrote:

      > What I hope I never see,
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsz3Fpy0Jkk
      >
      > It's a great hobby and an extension of our passion for history but equally important for most I'm sure is the correct information being passed on to the general public who visits and most often has many questions to ask.
      >
      > Thanks for all the help everyone,
      >
      > Gerry

    • Craig Williams
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 10 11:23 AM
        Not only are tricorns not common by 1812 being worn more for ceremonial purposes by very old gents,they are, for a farmer in UC very impractical.
        They provide little or no protection from the elements and require far more upkeep than a wide brim slouch hat which was very common among farmers.

        Sent from my iPhone