Re: Indian Department

  • jbwhittaker
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 8, 2013
      I know we have had this conversation before big brother. The 'buckskinners' you see at 1812 events as Peter pointed out, mean well but need more education on the War of 1812. I am talking about the fringed buckskin wearing types.
      In the Rendezvous/Fur Trade reenacting community we have participants who need more education about the era as well. I am certain this is true of all reenacting; from Vikings to Vietnam.
      Many ACW events have strict uniform and equipment guidelines that have to be followed depending on what point of the war is being portrayed.
      It has been said many times that reenactors have a responsibility to educate the public. Perhaps we should also gently educate other reenactors.
      Bruce Whittaker

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Michael whittaker <arpent_blanc@...> wrote:
      I thought the red-faced-green issue was settled years ago. So what's with the 'buckskinner' interpretation seen so often?

    • Craig Williams
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 10, 2013
        Not only are tricorns not common by 1812 being worn more for ceremonial purposes by very old gents,they are, for a farmer in UC very impractical.
        They provide little or no protection from the elements and require far more upkeep than a wide brim slouch hat which was very common among farmers.

        Sent from my iPhone