OT - Re: 1812 Napoleon's accent

  • Michael Mathews
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
      Related OT back-story.  When Mark first started portraying Napoleon in Europe
      (he bears a remarkable resemblance) he apologized that although fluent in
      French, he spoke with an accent.  "So did Napoleon (the Corsican)" was the
      laughing reply.

      Michael

       ---------------------------------
      No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
        I gather Napoleon spoke with a faintly Corsican accent......

        Vic Suthren

        Amusing article on the front page of the Wall street journal today, about
        the guy who normally plays Napoleon at reenactments in France, and the
        contender for that role at the huge planned anniversary reenactment of
        Waterloo: a gentleman from Virginia. Quoting the WSJ - The Virginian,
        according to the Frenchman, "has an enormous flaw. He is an Anglo Saxon. Can
        you imagine Napoleon addressing his army with a ridiculous accent?" says
        (the Frenchman) sitting up straight. "The horror! the horror!"
        OT, sorry.
        -Rick

        No virus found in this message.

      • annwass2000
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
          But Napoleon wasn't French, either. He was Corsican--I'm sure that is yet another accent.

          Ann Wass

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
            When reading about Napoleon, it is often mentioned that his Corsican accent
            was source of some embarrassment to him. Seems like speaking in accented
            French would be very appropriate.

            "Major" Tom

            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
              Corsica has an Italian side and a French side. I'm descended from the di Paoli family of the Italian side. I can only assume that the French side sounded French, but perhaps had their own dialect?

              ~~DianeWms
              Write/Producer/Director

              "When Was the War of 1812?"

            • Diane Williams