Napoleon's accent

  • rotmistrzb
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8 6:19 AM
      Amusing article on the front page of the Wall street journal today, about the guy who normally plays Napoleon at reenactments in France, and the contender for that role at the huge planned anniversary reenactment of Waterloo: a gentleman from Virginia. Quoting the WSJ - The Virginian, according to the Frenchman, "has an enormous flaw. He is an Anglo Saxon. Can you imagine Napoleon addressing his army with a ridiculous accent?" says (the Frenchman) sitting up straight. "The horror! the horror!"
      OT, sorry.
      -Rick
    • Michael Mathews
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8 6:53 AM
        Related OT back-story.  When Mark first started portraying Napoleon in Europe
        (he bears a remarkable resemblance) he apologized that although fluent in
        French, he spoke with an accent.  "So did Napoleon (the Corsican)" was the
        laughing reply.

        Michael

         ---------------------------------
        No act of kindness, however small is ever wasted. -- Aesop

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8 7:01 AM
          I gather Napoleon spoke with a faintly Corsican accent......

          Vic Suthren

          Amusing article on the front page of the Wall street journal today, about
          the guy who normally plays Napoleon at reenactments in France, and the
          contender for that role at the huge planned anniversary reenactment of
          Waterloo: a gentleman from Virginia. Quoting the WSJ - The Virginian,
          according to the Frenchman, "has an enormous flaw. He is an Anglo Saxon. Can
          you imagine Napoleon addressing his army with a ridiculous accent?" says
          (the Frenchman) sitting up straight. "The horror! the horror!"
          OT, sorry.
          -Rick

          No virus found in this message.

        • annwass2000
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8 7:16 AM
            But Napoleon wasn't French, either. He was Corsican--I'm sure that is yet another accent.

            Ann Wass

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8 7:41 AM
              When reading about Napoleon, it is often mentioned that his Corsican accent
              was source of some embarrassment to him. Seems like speaking in accented
              French would be very appropriate.

              "Major" Tom

              _____

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8 1:08 PM
                Corsica has an Italian side and a French side. I'm descended from the di Paoli family of the Italian side. I can only assume that the French side sounded French, but perhaps had their own dialect?

                ~~DianeWms
                Write/Producer/Director

                "When Was the War of 1812?"

              • Diane Williams