Re: Indian Department

  • doucanu2
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 7, 2013
      " ... in all the searching that I've done I can't seem to find
      anything different than what has been dicussed,,, yet! lol."

      Well, I'm still looking!

      "....the Commandant who makes a parade of Pomp before the Indians dressed in the INDIAN DEPT. UNIFORM and pair of gold Epaulettes..."

      Mr.(John)Askin to Mr.(Wm.)Claus Drummond Island 1816, M.G. 11, pg. 160
      Michigan Historical Collections vol. 16, page 417

      Mr. Askins comment of an "Indian Dept. Uniform" nagged at me and I couldn't help wonder that perhaps there was indeed a specific uniform for the B.I.D.during the war of 1812.

      In searching this past winter I've recently come across (perhaps others are aware of it) a document (circular)that describes what uniform was to be worn by the U.C. B.I.D and who would wear one.

      It's dated Fort George Nov.18 1812 and although its hard to read alot of information can be gained from it.

      The first sentance mentioning, " Major General Sheaffe having approved of the In. Dept. in Upper Canada wearing a uniform" goes on to mention " the respective officers Supt., Agent and Captain, scarlet with green facings, cuff and cape(collar?) and gold lace and one epaulette,"

      " Lieut., Interp. and Storekeeper scarlet with green facings with a gold strap on the right shoul."

      "Blacksmith (can't make out the next word?) clothing scarlet and green facings"

      As best as we can make out it goes on to mention the need to provide/get the B.I.D in uniforms as soon as possible and looking to provide, supply buttons, lace etc.

      Names at the bottom of the documents are, "Matthew Elliot, Amherstburg, Major Givens, York, John Askin Jr. Fort St. Joseph and C. Anderson Kingston"

      http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-119.01-e.php?q2=25&q3=1546&sqn=1365&tt=1423&PHPSESSID=8718nqfe7g6ou7jf4jngn84r16

      RG8, C vol. 688b pg. 159-159A archives canada

      So it just may be that McKay portriat is of him in a B.I.D uniform.

      Hope that helps anyone that may be interested,

      Gerry
    • Craig Williams
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 10, 2013
        Not only are tricorns not common by 1812 being worn more for ceremonial purposes by very old gents,they are, for a farmer in UC very impractical.
        They provide little or no protection from the elements and require far more upkeep than a wide brim slouch hat which was very common among farmers.

        Sent from my iPhone