Re: Manual of Arms

  • Raoul
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
      Hello,
      Anyone know if this reenactors drill manual ever got published?
      Raoul Mallalieu
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "bob.blakeley" <bob.blakeley@...> wrote:

      > The Norfok Mercantile, publisher of The Civilian Soldier, A Complete
      > History of the Norfolk Militia, 1796 to 2007, The War of 1812 Calendar-
      > Book of Days, and Hysterical Re-enacting, would be very interested in
      > publishing a Manual of Arms for War of 1812 Re-enactors.
      > Can anyone suggest the best original source for this material? We would
      > want to reprint it in the original style, not the PDF version, and the
      > same size as the original.
      > Our thinking is it should be hard cover, to put up with the rigours of
      > battle, available to all, in the most historically correct form we can
      > manage.
      > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      > Bob Blakeley

    • kell
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2013
        Raoul
        As a member of the Norfolk Militia and a good friend of Bob Blakeley,
        as far as I know he did not publish any book about the drill of this
        time period. As a unit we practice using the 5th Lincoln Militia Manual
        of Arms. We also us our drill that was used by the Norfolk's in 1811, It
        is only 3 pages long and gives us a look into the past. It does not give
        any reference to where it was taken from but it does refer to the musket
        as a fire-lock witch indicates that it is from an older drill manual.

        The Norfolk's also used the
        REGULATIONS for the EXERCISE OF RIFLEMEN and LIGHT INFANTRY and
        INSTRUCTIONS FOR THEIR CONDUCT IN THE FIELD 1799 I do not know how many
        different ones are being used but these are the ones we try and work with.

        Kell Svenningsen
        Chairperson
        Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment