Warrior's Day Parade

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2013
      For the Information of those members within striking distance of Toronto, As a result of my 1812 books, I have been approached by the organizing council of the annual CNE Warriors Day Parade (now celebrating its 92nd annual parade) to act as a contact between them and the 1812 reenactment community. As 2013 is the Bi-Centennial of the Battle of York (which principally occurred through the grounds now occupied by the CNE) they are keen to enhance the participation of 1812 military reenactor units in this (and subsequent) years parades.

      In respect to the “real” veterans and honoured to be so invited to be included in their company, I replied without hesitation that I would channel their invitation on to as many groups as possible through my contact abilities. Unfortunately, the official letterhead invitation cannot be included in these postings and so I am including below the text of their invitation. Any group wanting a copy of the letterhead invitation can get it from me by return email at feltoe@...

      I would encourage any group (representing all sides of that conflict) who can put together a detachment for this year (unfortunately it is the same Saturday as Wasaga Beach), or who would like to put it on their calendar for subsequent years, to make direct contact with the organizers as soon as possible and offer their support to this venerable and worthy endeavor.

      Richard Feltoe
      7th Company, Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada

      March 25, 2013

      To All Military-themed Re-enactor Units,

      This year, The Warriors’ Day Parade, held annually on the opening weekend of the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto, celebrates the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of York and the Korean War Armistice.

      Over the past number of years we have welcomed the participation of a number of military-themed re-enactor units to march in the parade alongside our Veterans and military. We strongly believe that including living history units in the parade not only perpetuates the memory of those who have served but also provides a valuable educational opportunity for all those in attendance.

      This year’s parade takes place on Saturday, August 17 , 2013 at 10:30am. We invite all
      military-themed re-enactor units to join us, not only in 2013 but also in the years ahead.

      The Warriors’ Day Parade provides a unique experience for those who participate. For many of our Veterans it is one of the highlights of their year. The opportunity to honour them and the Canadian Armed Forces through the parade has become an important Canadian tradition.

      This is a very high profile event and provides a great opportunity to spread the word about the re-enactor community and to highlight your contingent. Many members of the media are on-site on the day of the parade and there are opportunities for media interviews.

      Information about the parade including an online registration form is available on our website at www.thewarriorsdayparade.ca. All contingents who pre-register will be welcomed to the parade on our facebook page and via twitter.

      Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us through email at wdparade@....

      We look forward to seeing you on August 17th

      John Burns, LCol (Ret’d), CD
      President, The Warriors’ Day Parade Council