Re: 1812 1807 Book of Etiquette for the Apprentice

  • annwass2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2013
      What fun! Thanks for sharing.

      Ann Wass

      -----Original Message-----
      From: lenthecooper <lheidebrecht@...>
      To: WarOf1812 <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tue, Mar 12, 2013 11:26 am
      Subject: 1812 1807 Book of Etiquette for the Apprentice

      Hello All,

      I just ran across an interesting book of etiquette and advice aimed at the young apprentice. The author a past Lord Mayor of London, has has some interesting advice on choosing a wife, the company he keeps, manners and if should he join a corps of volunteers.

      Cheers,
      Len

      http://books.google.ca/books?id=tFs3AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

    • David Hildebrand
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2013
        Well, I can't say I agree on the sections about dancing and music, especially. Why should these things be avoided at all costs? Because they are the hallmarks of the Upper Class! What better way for those who grew up dancing the minuet to ensure their ranks are not diluted? Tell the lesser folks they shouldn't dance or play music or attend concerts. How do the wealthiest define their daily hours? That they need not truly work but instead can dissipate themselves upon ornamental expressions like chamber music and social dancing. Compare this guidebook for the middle class with the rules of civility that George Washington copied out by hand . . . . .

        Thanks for sharing this rich primary source, Len!

        David Hildebrand, Ph.D.
        Director, The Colonial Music Institute
        276 Oak Court
        Severna Park, MD 21146
        410 544-6149, cell 410 852-3476
        info@...
        www.colonialmusic.org
        www.1812music.org
        "History Detectives" re: National Anthem
        Televised lecture on "The Star-Spangled Banner"
        New 1812 CD!

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2013
          Thanks Len
          I agree with David. No dancing?! No music?!
          On the other hand, I often wondered if George went back in time to write his rules. George, it's the 18th century not the 16th. Being a revolutionary, he must have learned his middle class values and prose from his greatest ally - King Louis XVI or maybe it was King Charles III of Spain or more likely William V of Holland. I guess whoever was handing out free guns, ships and troops.
          On another off era topic: in honour of today, why not have a Caesar!
          Just my two cents from British North America.
          Jim