identities hacked epidemic

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
      The number of persons who are having their "identity" spoofed and messages sent out that just consist of a link to some wierd-looking website has been growing steadily the last month.

      You won't get any such message from this particular yahoo group, because we are on a sort of emergency "shut-down" "every message is moderated" status at the present. It is hard to predict how long this situation will last but as long as the hacked/spoof messages continue, the list will remain "moderated". This is unfortunate because of course the moderators are not available 24/7 to approve legitimate messages so it impacts on ongoing discussion threads by slowing down the message flow.

      Needless to say, even if it appears that your "very bestest friend in the whole world" is sending you an email that has as its entire contents a link to some website you've never heard of, *don't* open it (the link, that is)!!! If in *any* doubt as to a message's legitimacy, check with your friend *before* opening!

      Jim Yaworsky
      Moderator
    • David Hildebrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
        Just starting recently I've been getting 25 or more unwanted emails a day, selling several different unwanted things, but all with the same tag at the bottom, a company in New Zealand . . . fyi, if that helps; no need to respond if this doesn't help

        (coming to my info@... address, by the way )

        David Hildebrand, Ph.D.
        Director, The Colonial Music Institute
        276 Oak Court
        Severna Park, MD 21146
        410 544-6149, cell 410 852-3476
        info@...
        www.colonialmusic.org
        www.1812music.org
        "History Detectives" re: National Anthem
        Televised lecture on "The Star-Spangled Banner"
        New 1812 CD!

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2013
          Thanks James,

          It isn't happening just on this list either. It is pretty wide-spread and
          from what I can see, the majority of hacked ids are all yahoo accounts, so
          people may wish to set up an account with a different provider as an
          addition to or an alternative to yahoo.

          Kathryn