Re: War of 1812 Veteran's Graveside Recognition Project

  • Fred Briggs
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
      Wow! That's a huge challenge. I hope you get a lot of help! It's a
      wonderful undertaking, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
      This will be a great step forward for those of us involved in
      researching. It will be very useful to more than just those of us with
      an interest in the War of 1812! Bravo, and good luck!!!

      Fred Briggs

      On 25/02/2013 8:45 PM, David Brunelle wrote:

> [...]
      > in the
      > North West, that culminated in seeing him move the garrison at Drummond
      > Island to Penetanguishene. Once established in Penetanguishene, he
      > became a
      > builder of the community, raised a family, and sought land and funds from
      > the Crown to build a church for the garrison. That church is still
      > standing,
      > still in use today, and a living legacy from the War of 1812.
      >
      > Another example would be the story of 8 members of the Burritt family who
      > all served in the 2nd Grenville Militia. Their biography would detail
      > their
      > war record, which includes their incredible family commitment to the war
      > effort, and the fact that they survived the war and their subsequent
      > settlement in various communities in the country.
      >
      > Another would be the British Indian Department veterans that travelled
      > with
      > the garrison from Drummond Island to Penetanguishene. Mainly French
      > Canadian voyageurs, they received their land grants and settled in the
      > township of Tiny and established what is known locally as the French
      > settlement. The biographies of these veterans would detail their war
      > service, and their settlement, but would also point out their
      > establishment
      > of a French settlement that remains a vibrant community to this day. The
      > village of Lafontaine was recently awarded a heritage plaque to recognize
      > the French settlement and its strong cultural identity for 200 years,
      > a fact
      > that can be traced to the veterans of the War of 1812.
      >
      > Another would be Capt. William "Tiger" Dunlop of the 89th regiment of
      > foot.
      > A surgeon who saw service at Chryslers Farm, Queenston Heights,
      > Lundy's Lane
      > and Fort Erie, but who also achieved a contract to open roads in Upper
      > Canada following the war. Through his efforts and those of the
      > Fencibles who
      > helped him, many roads were opened for travel and subsequent development,
      > and are still being used today.
      >
      > Hopefully these four examples will provide some idea of the focus of
      > the War
      > of 1812 Graveside Recognition project. We are honouring veterans of war,
      > something long overdue, but also creating a legacy project in terms of
      > telling the stories of these veterans.
      >
      > We look forward to the launch of our website which will contain the
      > information you require to apply for a plaque and submit your
      > biography. We
      > also look forward to your participation in the project and the biographies
      > that you send that will help tell the story of the founders of our nation.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Lyn Downer
      >
      > Chair,
      >
      > War of 1812 Veterans Graveside Recognition Program

    • David Brunelle
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2013
        Thanks Fred! Will keep everyone posted when the website and online
        application forms are ready to go! We are aiming for April 1st!

        David J. Brunelle, OCT

        Project Director

        Southern Georgian Bay

        War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee

        705-716-7124

        www.1812bicentennial.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
          David

          Who is taking on the Burritts of Burritt's Rapids or the Merricks of Merrickville?

          Just asking because I live in the country.

          Michael whittaker

        • David Brunelle
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
            Hi Michael,

            No one to date that I know off. It will all depend on who submits the
            application and takes on the responsibilities or making it happen.