War of 1812 Veteran's Graveside Recognition Project

  • David Brunelle
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2013
      The War of 1812 veteran's graveside recognition project has some specific
      requirements that will be spelled out on our website, but perhaps a brief
      explanation of our criteria may help until our website launched. During the
      Bicentennial we hope to make an impact on the fact that for 200 years we
      haven't managed to honour many veterans of the War of 1812, nor tell their
      stories. Our focus is on veterans of the War of 1812, their service,
      settlement following the war, and their efforts to build our nation.

      The project is twofold.

      One is to identify veterans of the war who survived, received land grants,
      settled and proceeded to build communities and the nation - and place a
      plaque at their gravesides to honour their service.

      Two is to create a searchable data base of the biographies of these
      veterans, their service, their settlement and their efforts to build
      communities and establish our nation.

      The biographies will form a database of thousands of stories of veterans of
      the War of 1812 in one place, allowing researchers and students alike to
      gain a better insight into that specific time period, and to learn more
      about the founders of our nation.

      One example of the type of biography we are seeking might be Captain James
      Keating of the Royal Artillery who had a very active military career in the
      North West, that culminated in seeing him move the garrison at Drummond
      Island to Penetanguishene. Once established in Penetanguishene, he became a
      builder of the community, raised a family, and sought land and funds from
      the Crown to build a church for the garrison. That church is still standing,
      still in use today, and a living legacy from the War of 1812.

      Another example would be the story of 8 members of the Burritt family who
      all served in the 2nd Grenville Militia. Their biography would detail their
      war record, which includes their incredible family commitment to the war
      effort, and the fact that they survived the war and their subsequent
      settlement in various communities in the country.

      Another would be the British Indian Department veterans that travelled with
      the garrison from Drummond Island to Penetanguishene. Mainly French
      Canadian voyageurs, they received their land grants and settled in the
      township of Tiny and established what is known locally as the French
      settlement. The biographies of these veterans would detail their war
      service, and their settlement, but would also point out their establishment
      of a French settlement that remains a vibrant community to this day. The
      village of Lafontaine was recently awarded a heritage plaque to recognize
      the French settlement and its strong cultural identity for 200 years, a fact
      that can be traced to the veterans of the War of 1812.

      Another would be Capt. William "Tiger" Dunlop of the 89th regiment of foot.
      A surgeon who saw service at Chryslers Farm, Queenston Heights, Lundy's Lane
      and Fort Erie, but who also achieved a contract to open roads in Upper
      Canada following the war. Through his efforts and those of the Fencibles who
      helped him, many roads were opened for travel and subsequent development,
      and are still being used today.

      Hopefully these four examples will provide some idea of the focus of the War
      of 1812 Graveside Recognition project. We are honouring veterans of war,
      something long overdue, but also creating a legacy project in terms of
      telling the stories of these veterans.

      We look forward to the launch of our website which will contain the
      information you require to apply for a plaque and submit your biography. We
      also look forward to your participation in the project and the biographies
      that you send that will help tell the story of the founders of our nation.

      Best regards,

      Lyn Downer

      Chair,

      War of 1812 Veterans Graveside Recognition Program

    • Fred Briggs
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
        Wow! That's a huge challenge. I hope you get a lot of help! It's a
        wonderful undertaking, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
        This will be a great step forward for those of us involved in
        researching. It will be very useful to more than just those of us with
        an interest in the War of 1812! Bravo, and good luck!!!

        Fred Briggs

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2013
          Thanks Fred! Will keep everyone posted when the website and online
          application forms are ready to go! We are aiming for April 1st!

          David J. Brunelle, OCT

          Project Director

          Southern Georgian Bay

          War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee

          705-716-7124

          www.1812bicentennial.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
            David

            Who is taking on the Burritts of Burritt's Rapids or the Merricks of Merrickville?

            Just asking because I live in the country.

            Michael whittaker

          • David Brunelle
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
              Hi Michael,

              No one to date that I know off. It will all depend on who submits the
              application and takes on the responsibilities or making it happen.