US Army Officers coat

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2013
      Hello Group,
      Question, would an Army Captain wear the same style coats as the enlisted men but with epaulet, etc. or would it be more like the "Zebulon Pike" coat with all the trim and double breasted?
      Thanks!
      Steve
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
        My understanding is that a Captain would have the same style of coat as the
        men, but tricked out a bit more with silver buttons and lace. But please do
        not quote me on that. Best bet would be to check with Rene Chartrand's
        book. It is still available through Service Publications.

        http://www.servicepub.com/

        Mark D

        _,___

      • captain7usi
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
          The "Zebulon Pike" coat is the 1808 officer's pattern coat. Officer's coats were of similar pattern to the enlisted but made of superior materials. The style of coat depends upon the time period and regiment you are portraying.

          Steve Abolt is very knowledgeable about the nuances of the coats and is in the business of reproducing them. You can see examples of his work on www.cottonbaler.com. Specifically the 1808 and 1814 pattern officer coats.

          Cheers

          Jas Lundgren
          7th US Infy

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <wylecoyote79@...> wrote:

          > Hello Group,
          > Question, would an Army Captain wear the same style coats as the enlisted men but with epaulet, etc. or would it be more like the "Zebulon Pike" coat with all the trim and double breasted?
          > Thanks!
          > Steve

        • Steve Abolt
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
            Officer's garments vary in style throughout the war.  By the uniform change of Feb 1812 company grade officers were to wear coatees.  This means a short tailed coat.  The coatees with red collars and cuffs were to be trimmed in metallic braid on the collars.  The blind buttonholes on the chest, pocket flaps and cuffs were to be worked in silk twist.

            Some officers fully laced their 1812 pattern coats.  The portrait of CPT S.W. Kearney's hows such a laced coat.  The light artillery coat of CPT Samuel Price in the collection of the TN State museum in Nashville also is a fully laced coat.

             Previously officers had coats reaching to the bend of the knee.  This was with the 1808 pattern.  There is some debate if the 1810 pattern had either 3/4 length or all the way to the knee.  At the beginning of the war officers of Regiments 1 through 7 were in either the pattern of 1808 or 1810.

            The 1812 regulations also allowed an undress coat for all officers.  This was an all blue garment with blind buttonholes worked in silk twist. The collar was to be framed and its buttonholes laced in metallic. It was this garment which evolved in May 1813 to the long tailed all blue coat for all officers sans metallic trim..  This style with slight modifications was worn until 1821.  At that time company grade officers were again uniformed in the short tail coat,.

            What is important to note that the US Army tended to uniform their company officers with the same shilouette  as the enlisted man. This changed in 1813.  The exception being the coats were made of finer materials and construction.  Meaning finer cloth,  metallic lace in place of worsted tape, buttons of silver or gold plate, depending on branch as opposed to either pewter or brass for enlisted.

            Rank was denoted by the placement of epaulets.  Company grade wore one with field grade wearing two.

            When ,on the rare occasion, sgts were raised from the ranks, they tended to wear their old garments with modifications until they could get with a tailor to produce the proper garments.  The inventory of a deceased officer who had been a sgt, shows very little in the way of clothing befitting an officer.  The only officer materials listed are his epaulet, sword, belt and feather.

            All the best,
            S.