Re: 1812 : Reference in Prayer Breakfast Speech

  • annwass2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10 6:38 AM
      THanks for posting. I live in the DC area, so of course the prayer breakfast is news here, but I had not heard about this.

      Ann Wass

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11 5:28 AM
        I never realized how close the British came to 're-conquering' the 13 Colonies. Darn!

        Is this what is referred to as 'purple prose,? Quite a nice little series of rhetorical flourishes, if not, perhaps, good history. :)
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11 8:35 AM
          Those terrible Brits! Speaking English and carrying red, white and blue flags.

          I wonder if the Reverend was aware the British paid for the freedom of thousands of slaves following the war.

          Either way, always nice to see 1812 getting covered. Some pre-Super Bowl coverage from two weeks ago.

          http://ht.ly/hixfV

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "petemonahan" wrote:

          > I never realized how close the British came to 're-conquering' the 13 Colonies. Darn!
          >
          > Is this what is referred to as 'purple prose,? Quite a nice little series of rhetorical flourishes, if not, perhaps, good history. :)

        • Matt Lanteigne
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 15 5:49 PM
            I've spent the last month and a half attempting to get in touch with
            "The Rifle Shoppe". I've emailed and left voice messages. I really want
            to give them some money for a new stock for my musket, but haven't
            received a reply.

            Anyone else dealt with them, or perhaps heard about something that is
            preventing them from replying? A meteor maybe?

            Thanks,

            Matt Lanteigne
          • John Ogden
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 16 9:19 AM
              Their products are first-rate, but their customer service can be
              less-than-stellar. Waits of a year or two between payment and receipt of
              goods are not unknown.

              --
              John J. Ogden

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 16 12:21 PM
                Well that's bad news for me. :(

                Thanks John.

                Matt

                On 16/02/2013 12:19 PM, John Ogden wrote:

                > Their products are first-rate, but their customer service can be
                > less-than-stellar. Waits of a year or two between payment and receipt of
                > goods are not unknown.
                >
                > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Matt Lanteigne
                > matt_lanteigne@... <mailto:matt_lanteigne%40cogeco.ca>>wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I've spent the last month and a half attempting to get in touch with
                > > "The Rifle Shoppe". I've emailed and left voice messages. I really want
                > > to give them some money for a new stock for my musket, but haven't
                > > received a reply.
                > >
                > > Anyone else dealt with them, or perhaps heard about something that is
                > > preventing them from replying? A meteor maybe?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Matt Lanteigne
                > >

                > --
                > John J. Ogden

                *Matt Lanteigne*
                AKA - Lorny or Magnus

              • Harry
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 17 5:09 AM
                  Matt,
                  I've been getting stuff from TRS since 1990. They are a small custom operation (father, son and a few employees). From my communications with them, they have had problems getting and keeping skilled craftsmen. And I suspect they have an huge backlog of work and orders.

                  True, customer service is not their strong point, but IMHO they are the only game in town for quality pieces. Be patient, persistant and polite; your order will be filled...eventually :-)

                  Harry
                  3rd Coy, 1st RS

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Matt Lanteigne <matt_lanteigne@...> wrote:

                  > Well that's bad news for me. :(
                  >
                  > Thanks John.
                  >
                  > Matt
                  >

                  > On 16/02/2013 12:19 PM, John Ogden wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Their products are first-rate, but their customer service can be
                  > > less-than-stellar. Waits of a year or two between payment and receipt of
                  > > goods are not unknown.
                  > >
                  > > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Matt Lanteigne
                  > > matt_lanteigne@... <mailto:matt_lanteigne%40cogeco.ca>>wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > I've spent the last month and a half attempting to get in touch with
                  > > > "The Rifle Shoppe". I've emailed and left voice messages. I really want
                  > > > to give them some money for a new stock for my musket, but haven't
                  > > > received a reply.
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyone else dealt with them, or perhaps heard about something that is
                  > > > preventing them from replying? A meteor maybe?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > >
                  > > > Matt Lanteigne
                  > > >

                  > > --
                  > > John J. Ogden

                  > --
                  > *Matt Lanteigne*
                  > AKA - Lorny or Magnus

                • Mark Dickerson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 19 7:00 AM
                    I had problems with them getting back to me as well. I just kept calling
                    until I actually got a living person on the other end of the line. Once
                    that happened, then I was able to place my order and I received my items in
                    a timely fashion. But the stuff I ordered were items that they did have in
                    stock, so I didn't have to wait for any manufacturing time.

                    Mark Dickerson

                    _._,___