Re: 1812 : List of Monument Projects?

  • glenn stott
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2013
      The Upper Thames Military Re-enactment Society (UTMRS) who portray the Royal Scots Light Company, have created a large memorial monument which will be erected at the Battle of the Longwoods site east of Chatham, Ontario and West of London Ontario, over the next few months. We will be having the big Bicentennial Commemoration of the Battle, and the Monument on March 8, 2014. The Monument will list all the known soldiers who died in the battle, both American, British and Canadian. Among the groups who will be participating will be the Kentucky National Guard Colour Party as well as an equivalent representation from the Canadian Army. The re-enactment will be on the actual battle site following the memorial.
      Part of the monument project was funded through a provincial government program and federal money will assist in the organization of the actual ceremony.
      Our group has been working on this project for over five years and the memorial has been spearheaded by Marvin Recker, a descendent of one of the participants in the battle, Captain William Caldwell.
      The local community has caught the spirit and has completed two barn quilt projects which cover the area where the War was fought in our region.

      Glenn Stott
    • peter monahan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
        Sackett's Harbour Battlefield Alliance is erecting a memorial to the members of the Crown Forces [British and Cdn.] here is a web address with the details: http://www.sacketsharborbattlefield.org/memorial_crown_forces.htm

        Peter Monahan

        petemonahan@...
        705-435-0953 home / 705-890-9953 cell