Battle of the Thames-2013

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2013
      Hi everybody. I want to post a bulletin about some details for the Battle
      of the Thames event on this Oct 4-6th.

      On Saturday night we are going to host a dance at the Armoury in Chatham.
      The Essex and Kent Scottish Regiment occupied the building until 2006.
      There will be live music and a professional dance caller. We are trying to
      organize a meal, provided by Four Diamond Catering, and entertainment by the
      Essex-Kent Regiment Pipe and Drums. This is a very impressive display. I
      envision this meal being like a regimental, fancy dinner. We are trying to
      keeps cost to around $40 with the dance being free for those not wishing
      partake in the meal.

      We will provide free bussing for re-enactors between the site and the
      Armoury.

      Seating may be limited to 200 re-enactors at this time, with the possibility
      of opening up more seats. I want to get a feel for how many are interested
      in this.

      Friday is Education Day. Please let me know if you or your group is
      interested in attending.

      Saturday is the main day with a march and the main battle (with cavalry!!!)
      followed by the evening meal and dance.

      Sunday is a memorial commemoration at Fairfield and on site. There will
      also be a fighting tactical through the local countryside and farms, much
      like we did at Jefferson Patteron in Maryland a few years ago. This is not
      open to the public.

      I will provide more details as events start to firm up over the next few
      months.

      Mark Dickerson

      www.battleofthethames.ca

    • Matt Lanteigne
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 30, 2013
        Mark, I would like to attend the dinner on Saturday night.

        I am a maybe for Friday...I am not sure if I am coming up Thurs. night,
        or Friday morning. Do you know what time we can access the camp site for
        Friday morning? Is there a time we have to be there no later than?

        Matt

        On 30/01/2013 11:39 AM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

        > Hi everybody. I want to post a bulletin about some details for the Battle
        > of the Thames event on this Oct 4-6th.
        >
        > On Saturday night we are going to host a dance at the Armoury in Chatham.[snip]
      • Mark Dickerson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 30, 2013
          The kids usually start arriving around 9 AM, so you would need to have your
          vehicle out of the camp by 9AM on Friday.

          Mark

          Mark, [snip]

          I am a maybe for Friday...I am not sure if I am coming up Thurs. night,
          or Friday morning. Do you know what time we can access the camp site for Friday morning? Is there a time we have to be there no later than?

          Matt
        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 30, 2013
            Mark what is the site providing for re-enactors?

            Kevin

            Hi everybody. I want to post a bulletin about some details for the Battle
            of the Thames event on this Oct 4-6th.

            ,___

          • roy winders
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 30, 2013
              Hi Mark,
              I can do a talk on ed day, and would like to attend the dance.
              Roy.

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 31, 2013
                We are providing raw food (beef, veggies, bread) which you will have to cook
                yourself. We are also trying to negotiate breakfast so you don't have to
                cook in the morning (probably typical pancakes), a free dance with live
                music and a dance caller (Joe Q. Public has to buy tickets to this) and free
                bussing all night long to the dance so that nobody has to drive. There is
                also a 'gift' which will be kept surprise for now. Plus the typical
                firewood, but no straw. We are also trying to contract onsite showers.

                Anybody that is set up on Friday morning will be provided a lunch as well.

                We are also budgeting money to anybody that brings a 'trained' horse. We
                have not determined this cost yet and you have to contact me first. You
                just can't show up with a horse and say "Give me money".

                And if anybody wants, I will give them a personal tour of the farm that I
                grew up on.

                How does that sound Kevin? Tempted? I am open to suggestions as well if
                you have any good ideas.

                Mark Dickerson

                From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                Of Kevin Windsor

                Subject: RE: 1812 Battle of the Thames-2013

                Mark what is the site providing for re-enactors?

                Kevin

                _._,___

              • John Ogden
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
                  Well I'm in...

                  On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Mark Dickerson wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > We are providing raw food (beef, veggies, bread) [big snip]
                • Kevin Windsor
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
                    I am tempted now you evil seductress!!

                    KW

                    From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                    Of Mark Dickerson

                    How does that sound Kevin? Tempted? I am open to suggestions as well if
                    you have any good ideas.

                    Mark Dickerson

                    __

                  • HAROLD DENNISON
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
                      You had "me" at...."reenactment"!!!! :)

                      Hal Dennison

                      From: Kevin Windsor

                      From: Mark Dickerson

                      How does that sound Kevin? Tempted? I am open to suggestions as well if
                      you have any good ideas.

                      Mark Dickerson
                    • Terry
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
                        Mark,
                        Isn't there a an insurance conflict if horses are on site at reenactments?

                        Terry
                      • Adrian Rittner
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2013
                          Is the horse for the free dance? If so, save the last dance for me.

                          Adrian Rittner
                        • Charles Fitton
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
                            The horse is still in there...(accountants will laugh at that)

                            WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com writes:

                            >Is the horse for the free dance? If so, save the last dance for me.
                            >
                            >Adrian Rittner
                          • Mark Dickerson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
                              We have purchased our own insurance just for this event, and it's not cheap.
                              Anybody that comes to the Battle of the Thames MUST sign in and register as
                              a volunteer of the committee in order to be covered under our insurance
                              policy. It is for $5 000 000. This is the same procedure used by Parks
                              Canada sites where there are horses (ie. Ft George last October)

                              Mark Dickerson

                              Isn't there a an insurance conflict if horses are on site at reenactments?

                              Terry

                            • Tom Hurlbut
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
                                Awesome!

                                I certainly won't miss this event!

                                "Major" Tom

                                _____

                                From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                                Of Mark Dickerson

                                We have purchased our own insurance just for this event, and it's not cheap.[snip]
                              • Paul Watson
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 4, 2013
                                  The 21st US will be there.

                                  Sounds like an excellent way to wind down the 2013 season.

                                  Paul

                                • Kim Lundberg
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 6, 2013
                                    Seko Akwekon,

                                       Niaweh Kowa!!
                                       What a great event to commemorate the last effort by Tecumseh and the Native Allies!!
                                       An absolutely astonishing crowd!
                                       Bravo to the organizers and site staff, (except- directions on Thursday were a little weird).
                                       Thank you to all the participants, some of whom came form very far away to represent the Shawnees in particular!
                                       The American troops & cavalry were splendid, the British withdrawal.and surrender gracious and, the native Allies acquit themselves with honour.   All put on a great show as well.
                                        Thank you to all the elders who came to support the cause and help bolster all spirits.
                                        Thank you to the Evening Star, the shooting comet and, that marvelous flock of geese.
                                        Thank you Creator for giving us the opportunity to do all that was accomplished this past weekend.

                                    Niaweh Kowa, Gichi Megwich,

                                    Kim Lundberg, War Chief of the Upper Canada Woodland Allies

                                    From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                                    Of Kevin Windsor