RE: 1812 Re: Indian Department

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 28, 2013
      On Feb 21 the Chatham Cultural centre is giving a lecture on "The Dangerous
      World of the Indian Agent"

      See the information at the bottom of this email for details.

      Mark Dickerson

      www.battleofthethames.ca

      One of the most important, and least known, organizations within the
      British colonial government during the War of 1812 was the Indian
      Department.

      It was responsible for maintaining good relations with the First Nations and
      for rallying the Native Warriors into an effective military ally. Officers
      of the Indian Department distributed the traditional yearly tributes to
      cement the alliances, sat in at Native councils, and often worked as
      interpreters.

      While not a part of the British Army, the officers of the Indian Department
      were given military rank, with the head superintendent being a colonel and
      the regional superintendents being ranked as captains. The officers, like
      the army, wore red coats on the field. The individual officers would also
      incorporate items of Native dress and significance into their appearance.

      Officers of the Indian Department would go on to be involved in more than
      thirty major actions during the War of 1812, including the capture of Fort
      Detroit, the Battle of the Thames, and the capture of two American warships.

      Through the lives of two men, Edward Hazel and Robert Ramsay Livingston, we
      will get a glimpse into the strange and dangerous world of the Indian Agent
      and see how their work affected the flow of the war in our region.

      This fascinating lecture/performance will take place on February 21, 2013 at
      7PM. Tickets are $12 and may be purchased at the Chatham Cultural Centre Box
      Office, 75 William Street North, by calling 519-354-8338, or at
      <http://www.cktickets.com/> www.cktickets.com A limited amount will be
      available at the door. The evening will also include light snacks.

    • Craig Williams
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 10 11:23 AM
        Not only are tricorns not common by 1812 being worn more for ceremonial purposes by very old gents,they are, for a farmer in UC very impractical.
        They provide little or no protection from the elements and require far more upkeep than a wide brim slouch hat which was very common among farmers.

        Sent from my iPhone