War of 1812 Veterans to be Commemorated - News release from MP Bruce Stanton - Simcoe North

  • David Brunelle
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2013
      PENETANGUISHENE, Ontario, January 14, 2013 - Communities across Canada will
      have a chance to commemorate heroes of the War of 1812, thanks to an
      investment from the Government of Canada. Funding for the Historic Military
      Establishment of Upper Canada was announced today by Bruce Stanton, Member
      of Parliament (Simcoe North), on behalf of the Honourable James Moore,
      Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.

      This investment will help establish a national program to honour the graves
      of War of 1812 veterans. Canadians will be able to apply for granite plaques
      to be placed at veterans' gravesites. Each plaque will have a replica of the
      Upper Canada Preserved medal etched onto its surface. The original Upper
      Canada Preserved medal was produced after the War, but very few were
      actually awarded. A website will identify gravesites across Canada and
      feature the veterans' biographies, which will form a very useful database
      for students and researchers. At least one thousand plaques are expected to
      be distributed across the country.

      "Our Government is proud to invest in projects that contribute to our
      collective identity and define who we are as Canadians," said Minister
      Moore. "On the road to 2017, let us celebrate all of the things that make
      Canada the united, strong, and free country we are today."

      "By honouring their graves, we will learn more about these veterans who
      defended our land and ultimately won the fight for Canada," said Mr.

      Stanton. "This is a way to remember their heroic efforts, which tell the
      story of the Canada we know today-an independent and free country in a
      constitutional monarchy with its own parliamentary system."

      "We are very pleased that the federal government has seen fit to supply
      funding for this most worthwhile project," said Lyn Downer, Chair of the
      Southern Georgian Bay War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee. "It will represent
      the first time in our history as a nation that we will honour the rank and
      file veterans of the War of 1812-veterans who, by virtue of their courage,
      strength of character and resolve, form the very foundation of our country."

      The Historic Military Establishment of Upper Canada is a group of
      individuals who recreate the rich naval and military history of Upper Canada
      from 1750 to 1880. They take part in many educational and public events, in
      addition to co-ordinating and participating in living history and battle
      re-enactments across North America.

      The Government of Canada has provided funding of $140,000 through Canadian
      Heritage's 1812 Commemoration Fund. The Fund supports community-based
      projects to foster greater awareness and understanding of the importance of
      this conflict.

      David J. Brunelle, OCT

      Project Director

      Southern Georgian Bay

      War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee

      705-716-7124

      www.1812bicentennial.com

      SGB Logo English.jpg

    • Brian Rollason
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
        Hello David...just thought you might like to read the article linked below.....we have met a few times and I had mentioned to you about my grandfather.

        http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2012/12/26/rollasons-grandfather-is-just-one-example

        Brian Rollason

        _
      • Lindsay Suthren