March 2nd - War of 1812 Symposium in Hamilton, Ontario

  • tom4141fournier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2013
      Dear List

      We are excited to announce that our website is now up and running and able to take registrations:

      http://www.livinghistoryconference.com/

      We are really excited to be able to bring together this extremely strong assortment of speakers.

      For this year, we are going to have all aspects of the symposium housed in one venue, the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Hamilton (guest rooms, lectures, merchants fair and dinner/dance).

      For a list of speakers and topics see below my signature.

      On behalf of the organizing committee,

      Your most humble and obedient Servant,

      Tom Fournier

      Keynotes:

      1) Andrew Lambert: Burning down the White House and taking the President: how the British won the War of 1812
      2) Don Hickey: Ten Things You Should Know about the War of 1812 (But Probably Don't)

      Session Speakers

      1) Rene Chartrand : American Uniforms, Accoutrements and Weapons
      2) Don Graves: Fame and Infamy: The Tempestuous Life of Joseph Willocks
      3) Diane Graves: Vicissitudes and Commotions: Women's Experiences in the Western Theatre
      4) Ray Hobbs: Burlington Heights and the Bay in the War of 1812
      5) Peter Twist: Reconstructing an Incomplete Past
      6) Miyoko Twist: Regency Etiquette and Deportment
      7) Robert Henderson: The Winter War of 1812
      8) Jennifer Papak & Melissa Vuk: Regency Cooking
      9) Betsy Bashore: Period Fashion Display
      10) James Elliott: Where Then is the Glory? Stemming the Tide at Stoney Creek
      11) Renee Lafferty - "I'll enter Canada: The rest is up to Heaven. Religion and the Fighting Men of the W1812"
      12) Jane Mulkewich: War, Captivity, Slavery – Legal Perspectives on Racial Dynamics in 1812. The Case of Sarah Pooley
      13) Charles Dickon – Some Leftover Bones of 1813
      14) Rick Hill – Six Nations and War of 1812
      15) Craig Williams: The Battle of Beaver Dams: An Overview
      16) Ross Flowers : How the Scots invented Upper Canada

      Mini Session Speakers

      1 a) Michael Hurley: The Naval War on Lake Ontario in 1813
      1 b) Fritz Steele: The Ship's Carpenter
      2 a) Peter Monahan – From Ogdensburg to Erie: Newfoundland Fencibles in 1813
      2 b) Alex Cuberovic – 104th Regiment in the War of 1812
      3 a) Darryl McTavish: Noose, Knife and Fire: The Bloody Assize
      3 b) Greg Baran: Military Medicine in the Year 1812
      4 a) Kyle Messina: Masking Misconceptions: The Bicentennial of the War of 1812
      4 b) Adam Shoalts: Maginalizing the Canadians? How the War of 1812 is Taught in Academia
    • Iain Burns
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2013
        Ross, "16) Ross Flowers : How the Scots invented Upper Canada

        " Invented ONLY Upper Canada? Well, I guess there was a limit set on how long you had to speak... and I guess you had to limit your talk to the War of 1812... but we all know they invented EVERYTHING... Aye,IainCentre Coy, 1st Royal SCOTS Reg'tNo 3 Coy, 42nd Royal HIGHLAND Reg't