2013 Calendar of Events

  • westhouse03
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      Hello list,

      Here is an update for the Calendar of Events on a event in November.
      http://royal.scots.tripod.com/warof1812eventslist/

      Dave.

      Battle of Nanticoke Reenactment
      November 9 th and 10th, 2013
      10 am to 4 pm
      8 Echo St Cayuga, ON
      905-772-5880
      Email: krichardson at haldimandcounty . on . ca

      Battle of Nanticoke, Educational Day
      November 13th,
      9:30 to 3:30
      8 Echo St
      Cayuga, On

      The actual battle took place on November 13, 1813 so that is why the date of November 9th, 10th and 13th was chosen. The public event is scheduled on November 9th and 10th from 10 am to 4 pm. The re-enactment will include a re creation of the Battle of Nanticoke as well as an opportunity to showcase encampments and daily life of a soldier, militia and their families. November 13th is an educational day with a twist. Our plan is to live-stream the Battle and daily life to schools across Canada. As to why a reenactor would want to come, well it's an opportunity to re create an event which had a significant impact on the War of 1812 as the marauders who were arrested were taken to Ancaster for trial and six were hanged for their crimes. Although not a well known battle it did have relevance also in the fact that because of the battle 7000 bushels of wheat were spared . We realize it falls in line with Remembrance Day, which is unfortunate but we can't rewrite our history. The educational day planned for November 13th, is going to be an opportunity to engage a large audience as we plan to live stream the battle to schools across Canada as well as have schools on site to experience the conflict as well as hopefully showing what encampments were like a soldiers life etc....although not part of our battle, I think it is a great opportunity to utilize the reenactors to their full potential. Zach Melnick and his company Lock3 Media are meeting with us to discuss the logistics of filming and streaming etc. More on that as it gets closer. As usual we will provide food etc for the reenactors . I am new to this so have been depending on the various re-enacting groups to let me know what their needs are. It would be great if we could get a good number here. If you have any advice or ideas please let me know, other than the date being set I am open to suggestions.

      Thanks
      Karen