1812 Re: Playterson Lake Simcoe Portage Location

  • jbwhittaker
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2013
      Tom,
      The local historical society are/were working on a War of 1812 event to be held at Anchor Park, Holland Landing in 2013.
      I met a woman from that historical society at the Georgina Pioneer Village while I was there for another purpose. She said they wanted a naval component and were working on logistics. She took my name and contact information and said she would be in touch. When I hear more I will be sure to let you know.
      Regards,
      Bruce

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" wrote:

      Hi Bruce!
      I was wondering if there are any plans to commemorate this site and its
      purpose during the war as part of the 1812 Bicentennial,
    • doucanu2
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
        In talking with friends over the weekend the subject of Playterson came up which of course sparked me do a little more digging. In going over the replies I checked to see if I had missed anything and took another look at Peters reply below,

        > Local legend, but apparently no written sources, locate 'Playter's' or perhaps 'Playter's tavern' near or at the site of Fort Willow, which is of course located at mile 8 of the Nine Mile Portage, the last high and dry land before the portage descends into Minesing Swamp. An archaelogical dig on a settled area/hole in the parking lot of the Fort Willow Conservation Area, seem to have be a small house belonging to an Irish settler who built there in the 1840s-'50s.
        >
        > In short, the name is associated with the western end of the Nine Mile portage but, as far as I can tell, no exact location has ever been confirmed.
        >
        > Peter Monahan
        > Friends of Historic Fort Willow

        With that in mind I came across a letter written a month later then the letter mentioning the name "Playterson".

        It reads in part,

        " Aug.4th 1816 Capt. Owen to Capt. Baumgardt at the Hydrographic Office, Kingston U.C."

        " I am however of opinoin that persuaded the Establishment of the Commissariat at Holland landing at Kempenfelt and on the Nottawasaga, be not suffered to go to decay, the transport required for Drummond Island and our establishment would hardly require more than a single porter at Nottawasaga or Christian Island since no intermediate depot would be necessary for such small demands and if the Establishment at the head of the Nottawasaga Creek now called Platers , and that below at its mouth be placed in the Possession of the Naval Establishment on Lake Huron(and indeed the others at Kempenfelt and Holland River might also be both turned over to you for their care and protection)."

        So perhaps not " PLayters" but "Platers". As it reads in the letter, " now known as" . Was it the same place we know as Willow Depot prior to 1816?

        Doing a quick genealogy search there were people by the name Plater in the area very close to the time of the war and still are in the Barrie/ Collingwood areas,,, not to say that they are some how connected but, who knows, I'd have to do a genealogical search to be sure.

        Thanks Peter for your lead, sorry I didn't dig a little deeper in that direction but thats research I guess and thanks all for the suggestions and help.

        Gerry
      • peter monahan
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2013
          Gerry

          On passing this info. on to Trevor Carter, our archaeologist at Ft Willow [& the history teacher who does a dig each year with his class.] He's the real expert on the locale around the Fort, having researched in the local archives to find fruitful sites for future digs. It's a very interesting letter indeed! Thansk for passong it on.

          Peter
          Friends of Fort Willow

          Peter Monahan

          petemonahan@...