RE: 1812 Re: Pike Drill for Serjeants, Revisited...

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 31, 2012
      And exactly which manual has the 'make love' and fornicate drills in it?

      Peter Monahan

      John Potter said: <SNIP> "Semantics I know but perhaps a subtle distinction from the days when social class was more of a factor in the military than it is today.. A bit like the old saying that the men sweat but officers perspire, or that officers 'make love' and the men/NCO's fornicate...!<unSNIP>
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
        My mistake then. During my years as a sergeant in the light company, I only
        every carried a musket, not one of those silly fish/pike things. And I
        always carried it at the advance as befitting such an important person of
        quality and dignity.

        Mark

        From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
        [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com> ] On
        Behalf
        Of Mark Dickerson

        but a sgt usually does carry the pike at the advance, so it would be the
        left hand that comes across assuming that is the situation.

        Mark D

        ,___

      • John
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
          You know what the Army is like.. Everything is regulated and done 'by the numbers'...! ;-)

          John

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, peter monahan <petemonahan@...> wrote:

          > And exactly which manual has the 'make love' and fornicate drills in it?
          >
          > Peter Monahan
          >

          > John Potter said: <SNIP> "Semantics I know but perhaps a subtle distinction from the days when social class was more of a factor in the military than it is today.. A bit like the old saying that the men sweat but officers perspire, or that officers 'make love' and the men/NCO's fornicate...!<unSNIP>

        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 2, 2013
            No I guess you are too fancy for things like that!!

            KW